Hot Rod Forum banner

3 phase and 1 phase

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jaguarxk120 
#1 ·
could somebody tell me the difference between 3 & 1 phase in a inverter type welder? I under stand 3 phase and it's relationship to electric motors, but welders???? Reason i ask is because i have a great opportunity to get the inverter i want, "cheap" but it's 3 phase, and i know all about rotary/static converters,or VFD, i built one. I don't want to go that rout. I want to change the guts of the welder to run on 220 1 phase. as you may or may not know, some welders come from the factory as 3 or 1 phase, just switch wires around and that's it. I know there is no difference in the electronics/ PCB. so what is different?

#5 ·
I was at the Lincoln site before i asked the question, there answer was "Not practical to change it" Well it is to me, about $1000 bucks worth........I'm also thinking it is only a transformer swap. a schematic gives the tap Voltage, so it's just a mater of finding the Tf. to fit, and of course the right taps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.