3 speeds using relays - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 08:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

3 speeds using relays

I have a 4 position switch (off, low, med, high) and a Summit Racing 3 speed heater. I'm not sure of the current capability of the switch. I would like to run all 3 speeds of the blower using relays. I have a bunch of spdt relays on hand. Is there a simple way of doing this? Thanks in advance...

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

You can use 16 gauge wire from the switch to the 86 terminals on the relays and also to connect the 85 terminals for ground. Be sure and use 12 gauge wire for the 12v power to the 30 terminals on the relays. Are you using the switch that came with the Summit heater?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan Wiring.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	42443  
Old 12-10-2009, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the great schematic, Hoptup! I got this heater a while back and I don't think it came with a switch. I ended up with one that looks heavy duty and probably is... but I don't know for sure. So, I thought I would just use the relays and extra wire I already have. Thanks again for the diagram...

Mike
Old 12-10-2009, 08:15 PM

Last photo:

I kind of took for granted that you know to fuse the two 12v wires or run them from an existing fused source. I would use a 30A fuse on the 12v to the #30 terminals on the relays and a 5A or 10A on the 12v to the switch.

I'm with you, I would rather use the relays to feed the power to control the fan. I've had problems with the so called heavy duty fan switches in the past. After disconnecting the wires a few times from the switch, the terminals become slightly loose, then they generate heat because of the poor connections and if you have an aluminum switch knob, it will burn your fingers when you go to turn it off. Ask me how I know! Lesson learned.

Get the heat going, its getting colder everyday you wait!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

Yes, I did realize that I needed to put in a couple of fuses. I have the switch going through my fusebox already... but I'll have to pick up a 30 amp. I should probably make that a heavy-duty, inline fuse. By the way, I just noticed that you're from Virginia Beach. Is it getting really cold yet? My wife and I are coming down there for the week between Christmas and New Years. Trying to escape some of the snow and cold that Western New York is famous for...

Mike
Old 12-11-2009, 04:07 PM

Last photo:

Our weather is wacky. Yesterday it was 73* Its 39* right now, at 6pm. It's supposed to be 60* on Tuesday. The weatherman was joking this morning that there is an outside chance that we will have snow on Christmas. But heck, they can't even predict the weather two hours in advance, much less two weeks! It certainly won't be as cold as western NY!

Last edited by Hoptup32; 12-12-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

60* sounds fine to me! Today it was 13* and below zero with the wind chill. The only silver lining us is that we didn't get the 3 feet of snow they got south of Buffalo. We're closer to Niagara Falls and we got zero inches of snow

Mike

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.