Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 3 ton floor jack
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 07:16 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshad7
Hi,
I am new to the Hot Rodders forum and I am hoping to get input to help me in buying a 3-ton floor jack. My husband has said that he wants one to use for working on his classic 69 Camaro. I was wondering if anyone can offer some advice about brands or retailers. My husband suggested Craftsman, but I read a customer review and a man said that he doesn't like the lack of control when the jack is released. I truly appreciate any and all responses!!

Thanks!
Heidi (hot rodder's wife)
Heidi,
There are so many places out there anymore where one could pickup a floor jack that will handle your husbands car needs. For a 69 Camaro or just about any car a 1-1/2 ton jack is more then enough. I know I have had them since the early 70's. Today you may not even find a 1-1/2 ton jack though as most are advertised 2-3 tons and larger. Keep in mind this jack will be very heavy to move around. You might even consider one of the Aluminum (Racing) jacks that are offered out there. I also happen to have one of those. I can pick the whole thing up with one hand if need be and it lifts my cars as well as some of the heavier jacks. The best thing about this type of jack is you can take it with you on the road if need be without breaking your back carrying it. Harbor Freight as well as Sears and others carry them. Most likely most of the jacks that you go to take a look at will be manufactured in China. That is why they are so cheap in price today unlike many years ago when most were USA made. Problem is the quality of many of the Chinese jacks don't even come close to their USA counterparts from years ago. I have seen some brand new Chinese jacks take forever to pump up to lift a car. You might want to shop locally in case your husband is not happy with it so you can bring it back if need be.

Rick