Hot Rod Forum banner

3 ton floor jack

14K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  schnitz 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am new to the Hot Rodders forum and I am hoping to get input to help me in buying a 3-ton floor jack. My husband has said that he wants one to use for working on his classic 69 Camaro. I was wondering if anyone can offer some advice about brands or retailers. My husband suggested Craftsman, but I read a customer review and a man said that he doesn't like the lack of control when the jack is released. I truly appreciate any and all responses!!

Thanks!
Heidi (hot rodder's wife)

#2 ·
I have a Harbor Freight 3 ton and it is just fine for the $60 that it cost... there is better out there... Ottowana Tool Company and Linclion come to mind, but there really pricey... and the jack is only going to hold the vehicle weight till you get the stands under it anyway

#6 ·
Fergusonic said:
Whichever one you decide on; accompany it with a couple nice Jack Stands. (if he doesn't already have some)

I'll second this point. For safety's sake, DO NOT SKIMP ON THE JACK STANDS. While working under a car, there is nothing worse than being crushed to death by an inferior or defective stand. Like many safety related items, they should have the welds on them inspected for cracks or weakened/distorted bases on a "per use" schedule.

In a while, Chet.

#7 ·
3 ton jack

Thanks guys I really appreciate your help--I think I might go with the one from Harbor Freight--he wants one that is longer than the jack that he has now. Thanks for the suggestion of the jack stands--I know he has those!
Thanks again!

#10 ·
hshad7 said:
Hi,
I am new to the Hot Rodders forum and I am hoping to get input to help me in buying a 3-ton floor jack. My husband has said that he wants one to use for working on his classic 69 Camaro. I was wondering if anyone can offer some advice about brands or retailers. My husband suggested Craftsman, but I read a customer review and a man said that he doesn't like the lack of control when the jack is released. I truly appreciate any and all responses!!

Thanks!
Heidi (hot rodder's wife)
Heidi,
There are so many places out there anymore where one could pickup a floor jack that will handle your husbands car needs. For a 69 Camaro or just about any car a 1-1/2 ton jack is more then enough. I know I have had them since the early 70's. Today you may not even find a 1-1/2 ton jack though as most are advertised 2-3 tons and larger. Keep in mind this jack will be very heavy to move around. You might even consider one of the Aluminum (Racing) jacks that are offered out there. I also happen to have one of those. I can pick the whole thing up with one hand if need be and it lifts my cars as well as some of the heavier jacks. The best thing about this type of jack is you can take it with you on the road if need be without breaking your back carrying it. Harbor Freight as well as Sears and others carry them. Most likely most of the jacks that you go to take a look at will be manufactured in China. That is why they are so cheap in price today unlike many years ago when most were USA made. Problem is the quality of many of the Chinese jacks don't even come close to their USA counterparts from years ago. I have seen some brand new Chinese jacks take forever to pump up to lift a car. You might want to shop locally in case your husband is not happy with it so you can bring it back if need be.

Rick

#11 ·
Thanks!

My husband really wants a jack that is longer than the one that he has--he is the one who came up with the 3 ton requirement :) I am leaning toward either Sears or Harbor Freight. He does use the jack to work on other antique cars as well. Thanks for your great advice!

#12 ·
My 40-year-old Craftsman 1.5-ton, actually made by Walker, bit the dust again last year. For the price of a rebuild, I could have bought almost three of the yellow and black Harbor Freight 3-ton jacks, but I cheaped out and bought just one just to see how long it would last. It seems to work about as well as the old one, although it definitely looks cheaper. It sat through a 2-foot-deep flash flood about 6 months ago, but I shot it down with WD-40 after the water went down and so far it's still working.

I have one of the HF long-frame jacks mentioned above, and while it works great and lifts way higher, it weighs so much I have to be seriously motivated to actually drag its 130# carcass out unless I absolutely must.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94629 is the yellow one, often found on sale for $10-$20 less.

#17 ·
If you have a nearby service station supply or a hydraulic repair shop, check with them for a QUALITY jack. I have a 3 ton unit purchased from a supply outlet in1977. It has 30" lift, steel wheels, takes 2 men to lift it and has had the cylinder resealed ONCE. Also has a foot operated option, wouldnt part with this baby,'less it was for an air operated jack.

#18 ·
schnitz said:
Right on Matt. And most times their sale ads have coupons for another 15 percent off. Makes for big savings, especially when money is tight.

In a while, Chet.
Then you spend enough online and become a preferred customer, they give you free gift coupons... the last 1's I got was for 1 ratchet bar clamp.. but when I redeemed it at the store, they were on sale for $1.. normal price was $3.24 and the coupon rang up a $3.24 cash value.. so the coupon ended up covering the cost of 3 clamps... I walked out of there that day with 5 items and it cost me like $3 for everything

#19 ·
matt167 said:
Then you spend enough online and become a preferred customer, they give you free gift coupons... the last 1's I got was for 1 ratchet bar clamp.. but when I redeemed it at the store, they were on sale for $1.. normal price was $3.24 and the coupon rang up a $3.24 cash value.. so the coupon ended up covering the cost of 3 clamps... I walked out of there that day with 5 items and it cost me like $3 for everything

Bonus! :thumbup: Of course, my local store is only 20 minutes away, so I just head over to the store instead of going the online route.

In a while, Chet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.