Hot Rod Forum banner

30 coupe radiator and grill shell

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  cboy 
#1 ·
What do you guy's think? I've got a 30 Ford chopped coupe sitting on a duece frame [highboy] which is looking pretty cool, but I don't like looking over that tall duece radiator. What do you think the asthetics would be using like a shorter radiator and grill shell. It will have rear fenders only and maby some short cycle fenders up front, no hood and 350 engine with a quad or three two's. Pops.

#4 ·
There may be debate on this but in general I think the correct height to the grill shell is considered to be at an imaginary line drawn from the angle (slope) of the cowl to the front of the car. A quick look at the two photos above would indicate that the yellow coupe has the shell set too low and the gray one is about spot on.

Another way to think of it is to imagine the car with a full hood on it. The grill shell should be set at a height so that there is a straight line from the point where the cowl meets the windshield then forward over the top of the firewall, then skimming the top line of the hood and on to the top of the grill shell.

This is why in fabrication shots, you often see guys putting a bunch of masking tape on the car from the cowl forward to the grill shell. They can then visualize if the shell if set too hight or low by any variation in the tape line.

Personal tastes may vary, but I think this is how most folks set the height. It will at least get you in the ballpark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.