3000 stall converter question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2003, 07:51 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 3000 stall converter question

Hey guys I am new here but here is my question. I have a 1980 Z28 and just got a crane energizer 284 cam . The car is mostly stock , it has 3:73 gears and true dual exhaust . The cam card says 480 lift on both I and E with 284 dur. Will this be to much stall I will not be racing the car , it will be mainly street driven to cruise nights . Or should I just stay with the stock converter. The converter was given to me but has no markings on it , I was only told it was a 3000 stall . It is about 12 inches in diameter. I really don't want to have something that just goes snakey every time I take off . Any info would be greatly apreciated , I always had a standard trans so this is new to me.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2003, 08:40 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

3000 RPM stall for a street vehicle is a little high. Even with your 3.73 rear you won't be running that high RPM for most of your driving. This will allow the converter to be 'slipping' all the time and could cause overheating problems. You will barely be running 3000 RPM at 65 MPH with 28" diameter rear tires and your rear gears.

I'd suggest that you drop down to around a 2400 RPM stall for the street. There are many factors to consider when choosing the correct stall for an application. Among these are cam selection, rear gear ratio, rear tire diameter, overall weight of the vehicle, type of driving (street only, street and race, race only).

You might drop Coan or Hughes an e-mail with your specs for their suggestions as to what stall you should run.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:19 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Frisco made some great points. My Mustang is a fairly heavy car. I run a 302ci engine with a cam similar to yours except it's a dual-pattern (276In/286Ex advertised duration), Performer RPM manifold, and a 670cfm carb. Trans is a C4 auto (no overdrive for those not familiar with Ford trans) and the rear houses a set of 3.70 gears with 26" tires. I decided to go with a TCI Break-A-Way converter which stalls very close to where Frisco suggested. For a car that is street driven mostly it works well (for me). For basic cruisin around she behaves very well but when I lay into her I can feel the difference. Just my opinion.

Old 06-08-2003, 06:55 PM

As i understand it the way the choose the right stall converter would be the find out first what your driving around RPM would be.----The first thing one would do first would be to put in the rear end gears and 3.73 that you have seem to work well for the street so all you now must do is find out what your drive around RPM is and than go with a stall at this rate or lower.--If you go to high with the stall you will get a lot of slippage and build up heat in your trans.--I would recommend a trans cooler.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.