302 and 302 Boss - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2002, 03:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 302 and 302 Boss

I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me what makes a 302 a Boss... I have an option of putting either into my mustang and was just wondering since the Boss costs more and well, at 16, and having to go to school and pay for all of your stuff, its really nice to get the most bang for your buck.

Thanks in advance.

Fairlane

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2002, 03:52 PM
Senescent

I don't remember everything, but the main thing is the heads.A Boss has canted valve heads and they are quite large with large ports.I think they had mechanical cams also and all the usual goodies like forged pistons,aluminum intake,etc.The people I knew that had them said they weren't too practical on the street because they were designed for the torque curve to be at a high rpm.Great for racing,but no bottom end.I think that is why most people are using the 351W for street use.
Old 09-06-2002, 05:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Virtually nothing except the bolt pattern is the same between the regular 302 and a Boss engine, the castings are heavier the cranks are forged, the actual casting thickness is heavier etc. etc. etc.

Nothing is really interchangeable although the bolt patterns are the same.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:09 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

FORD detuned the BOSS 302 engine in 1970 as a result of low torque for a street engine.

They modified the ports and reduced the size of the intake valves for better response.

The fact of the matter is, it is one hell of an engine, and like a 4V 351C, once wound up will really show you something.

There are port plates available to decrease exhaust port flow and slow things down a bit. You would need fairly stiff gearing to have proper bottom end response with it.

But I guarantee you one thing, it will put a big smile on your face!
Old 09-06-2002, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the info guys...my friend has a 95 mustang with a 302 boss and a paxton supercharger with 8psi i think...sucker hauls balls pretty much. Only thing that the car really lacks in is the exhaust...it dont sound like a car until you wrap it way up...

Anyways, i bought a strong running 74 mustang fast back from the old lady next door for 200 bucks...straight, hardly any dings...
Me and my 2 friends are going try to put a 302 in it...my friend had a 77 mustang that was running and is now out at the junk yard...and my friend knows a guy with a 302 boss for sale...

Anyways, any tips or tricks on some mods that i might need, or might want for the 74?

Fairlane
Old 09-07-2002, 12:05 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Thumbs up

The MUST II oil pan and pickup are unique. There is something else about this 302 swap, but I can't remember right now.

It will require a suspension and brake upgrade if it is a V-6 car. The fromt brakes are only 9.3" and the rear drums are only 9". It is actually riding on a PINTO chassis.

If you do decide to purchase the BOSS 302 engine, make sure you research it before buying to make sure it is what it is claimed to be.
Old 09-07-2002, 01:07 AM

Last photo:

the only real difference between the street boss 302 and the regular 302 is that the boss block is fourboltet, the crank is forged, and the heads are 351 cleveland style,

The cheapest way to build a boss is to build a clevor (cleveland headded winsor) this requires different head bolts, the drilling of two holes in the heads for waterpassages and a new intake and new (or flycut the old ones) pistons. the price of this conversion is lower than a set of new dart heads and you get a motor with the boss look, without the boss price.

you might have to relocate the dipstick to the front cover, and plug the hole on the side of the block with a wooden dowel. and change the oil pan on the 77 to a pre 72. 302, and if you want any performance the cam must go. but otherwise it drops right in
Old 09-07-2002, 07:24 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

If I'm not mistaken 59Fairlane in 74 the mustang was a mustangII (quite different) and it was either a hatchback or a notchback. Not that there's anything wrong with building a MustangII but it is definately not a fastback Mustang, they ended in 73. Actually I have documents that say from 69 to 73 Ford changed the name from fastback to Sports Roof. So technically the fastback ended in 68 but most people still called them a fastback till 73. Many years ago I actually built a 74 MustangII hatchback (not fastback) with a 2.3 four cylinder. If I remember that far back 74 was the only year the MustangII had no cat. converter (leaded gas) and only came with a 4cyl. or V6 engine. In 75 they went to unleaded gas and came out tieh the V8 option CobraII, Farrah Fawcetts car in the Charlies Angels tv show.
Old 09-07-2002, 05:31 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Simply put a Boss 302 is a 4 bolt 302 block with 351 cleveland 4bbl heads made in only '69 and'70 ( the '69 had 2.25 valves while the '70 used the same size as the 351C 2.19). The block had screw in freeze plugs unlike the press in regular block. the Boss will basically drop into the Mustang II with the brackets that came with the 302 MustangII.One thing to be aware of is the tighter trans tunnel on these cars required a smaller bell housing for clearance, no problem if using a C4 that came with it, but the manual trans in them wont take the punishment of a stout engine.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.