302 with 351w heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 12:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

302 with 351w heads

Hello guys and girls, I have a few questions. I'm more of a Chevy guy, do a lot of Chevy builds, and do some Ford builds from time to time, mostly in the FE class, and a few small block stock-type rebuilds. However, a customer brought me a 302 block, with a set of heads that have "302" in the casting under the valve covers, which they assumed were 302 heads. I did a little research on the actual casting numbers, which were D00E, and turned up they were actually 351w heads. Is this correct? I called the customer back to let them know they are not the correct heads for the block, but they asked if I could make them work anyway.

I've been doing some research online, and I've been getting conflicting reports. Some say the D00E head will not work on a 302 block (D20E block), others say it will but requires a modified intake manifold.

So I figured I would come to hotrodders.com. I've gotten a lot of good info from you guys in the past from searching the forums. This time I thought I would actually speak to you instead of lurking in the shadows.

What is it going to take to mound these heads (D00E) to the block (D20E)? Any special head gaskets, bolts, intake, intake gaskets, etc?

Also, does anyone have any specifications as far as chamber sizes on these heads?

Thanks everyone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 01:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slander
Hello guys and girls, I have a few questions. I'm more of a Chevy guy, do a lot of Chevy builds, and do some Ford builds from time to time, mostly in the FE class, and a few small block stock-type rebuilds. However, a customer brought me a 302 block, with a set of heads that have "302" in the casting under the valve covers, which they assumed were 302 heads. I did a little research on the actual casting numbers, which were D00E, and turned up they were actually 351w heads. Is this correct? I called the customer back to let them know they are not the correct heads for the block, but they asked if I could make them work anyway.

I've been doing some research online, and I've been getting conflicting reports. Some say the D00E head will not work on a 302 block (D20E block), others say it will but requires a modified intake manifold.

So I figured I would come to hotrodders.com. I've gotten a lot of good info from you guys in the past from searching the forums. This time I thought I would actually speak to you instead of lurking in the shadows.

What is it going to take to mound these heads (D00E) to the block (D20E)? Any special head gaskets, bolts, intake, intake gaskets, etc?

Also, does anyone have any specifications as far as chamber sizes on these heads?

Thanks everyone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
351W D0OE heads will work on a 302 and are a good choice as they have larger valves. The only thing you will need to do is supply bolt hole bushings, available from Summit for not very much - 302 have 7/16" head bolts, the 351W have 1/2" head bolts. The 302 intake will bolt directly to those heads. You will need the correct gaskets though - and Fel-Pro's will work

Head bolt bushings = http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...bushings&dds=1

Fel Pro gaskets = http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-1250/

Take a look in the exhaust port. Some/most of these D0OE heads had an EGR 'hump' - get your die grinder out and smooth it to the shape of the rest of the runner without taking an excessive amount of material off. Don't worry if there is still a hole, it wont hurt a thing.

Pull the press in rocker arm studs then tap 7/16-14 and install and install screw in studs. The hole is the correct size as you remove the originals. These are the same studs as SB Chevys use.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Rocker-Arm-Studs/Base-Thread-Size/7-16-14-in/Make/FORD/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Now - you have a set of as good an iron head as Ford made until the GT-40s arrived.

Now - with them having 302 cast under the rocker cover.....?? If indeed they are a 302 version, they should already have 7/16 head bolt holes, but Ford in the '60s - '80s did some real off the wall stuff.

Dave W
Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 PM

Thanks Dave. Have you by chance ever seen a set of D00E heads in a 302 version? It's a large "302" casting, that's for sure.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slander
Thanks Dave. Have you by chance ever seen a set of D00E heads in a 302 version? It's a large "302" casting, that's for sure.
I have not - they have all been off 351's. I even trashed a set off of a 351W a while back in the metals dumpster at the dump. Just check the head bolt holes. If they are for 7/16 bolts - you are GO as an original 302 item. Like I said before, Ford did some real strange things in the early days of "W" engines. Just watch intake coolant holes

There is one thing that these D0OE heads don't have - hardened valve seats. Then of course, valve guide wear is probably out of spec on any with high mileage heads.

If your customer can find a set of GT40P's from an Explorer or Expedition, then it's an even better choice - until you try to find headers .

Whichever heads except the OEMs will each have a different set of interesting problems to work around, but all "W" heads except that odd ball 255cid will interchange tho you do have to consider compression ratio with the smaller displacement versions under the 302/5.0L

Dave W
Old 01-10-2011, 05:13 PM

I found a half-inch bolt, actually it was just under @ .490", and it would not fit the head bolt holes. So I'm guessing these are 302 heads. Strange.

I like Chevy's casting numbers. Much easier, in my opinion!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:52 PM

Does anyone know how to identify these heads as 2v or 4v?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Ford did have DOOE-B casting for 302. JMO

Cole
Old 01-10-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
Ford did have DOOE-B casting for 302. JMO

Cole

Glad you came up with that Cole - as I have seen maybe a dozen or more D0OE's and all from 351W's

And as far as 2/4 bbl - they are the same
Old 01-10-2011, 07:55 PM

They didn't make a 2V or 4V model of these heads?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

The heads are the same they did put out some 4v 302 engines but the heads are the same on the 2v version and the 4v version. As Dave stated.

Cole
Old 01-10-2011, 08:29 PM

So I take it the only difference was the intake and carb then, correct?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:44 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

runner flash

Ford tried to get as many miles (parts) as possible using the casting pattens to save money, Feel inside the ports for casting flash and mismatch at the parting lines. and just smooth out the intake and exh ports unless you know how to reshape . on some engine just doing that makes a big difference , the stock ford Long Body 4 bbl carbs also had casting mismatch in the bores, smothing those also helps a lot.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:45 PM

Last photo:

F O R D

Ford sure can require a lot of thinking compared to Gm.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud.man.rj
Ford sure can require a lot of thinking compared to Gm.

Consider it a "thinking mans' engine then. You can pick up a dozen books, guides, etc., talk to your neighbor or his kid and build a SB Chebbie that will run OK. But, the SB Ford W or C, you do have to consider parts, but when you are done, it will run better then OK
Old 01-11-2011, 08:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Consider it a "thinking mans' engine then. You can pick up a dozen books, guides, etc., talk to your neighbor or his kid and build a SB Chebbie that will run OK. But, the SB Ford W or C, you do have to consider parts, but when you are done, it will run better then OK
You got my vote Dave. I totally agree.

Cole

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.