Hot Rod Forum banner

302 cam choice.

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Super Chevy 
#1 ·
my buddies birthday is coming up and his girlfriend asked me what a good car related gift would be, so i suggested a cam for his 87 5.0L mustang, and since she doesnt even know what a cam is, she left me to choose one. i am a chevy fan. would the b303 be a good choice? what is the rpm range for the b cam? he has 1 5/8 shorty headers, and underdrive pullies so far. he plans on getting a 70mm tb and egr spacer and maybe new upper and lower intakes, but he is not sure which one would be a good choice either.

#2 ·
anyone? do the efi 5.0L engines have roller cams?

#4 ·
hmmm, could u suggest a cam for an 87 efi 5.0l?

#6 ·
are there different cams between roller and non-roller engines? like 2 different E cams to choose from for each application?

#8 ·
cool, thank you, that makes thing a heck of a lot easier. can someone explaine this to me, the b-303 a fair idle with .480 lift now the e-303 has a good idle with .498 lift, are they saying that smaller b-303 cam has a rougher idle than the e-303?

should the lifters be replaced also?

#12 ·
This could get expensive, but I would recommend getting him a cam, and new springs and mabye pushrods that match the cam. This way you could be sure it all worked well. I dont know a whole lot about fords, but I would look at something like the Comp Cams XE270HR (218 224 @.050, .544 .544 lift 1800-5800 powerband) or the EX264HR (212 218 @ .050 .544 .544 lift 1500-5500 RPM). I would think that either of these cams would work well with stock heads and the modifications that he already has.

Adam

#13 ·
I don't think you should bother getting him a cam if he's running stock heads, the stock cam is pretty good, and is very well matched to the heads from the factory. A ported lower intake manifold would be a better choice I think, or an electric fan or a shift kit or something.

#15 ·
thanks for all the ideas. his car is daily driven and has to pass an e-test. he has his heart set on a cam because he wants it more for the lopy idle, he could always upgrade his heads later, but ill mention the 3.73 gear set. he already has a fan, and he is going to be putting a stick back in it (used to be a 2.3l 5-speed).

#16 ·
Lopey idle = failing emissions test.

If he wants a lopey idle tell him to pull a spark plug or two. Otherwise with stock Ford heads anything past .500" lift isn't worth it. More duration helps but you won't pass the sniffer test.

A tighter lobe sep. will give a little more lope, but again, it will be an emissions issue.

#17 ·
its says the e303 is emissions legal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.