302 camshafts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 04:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

302 camshafts

I don't do Fords much and just recently found that Ford changed the cam grind for the 302 cu in to the Windsor grind and firing order. Took me SEVERAL tries at timing my newly rebuilt engine before someone told me they had changed in the mid 90s. So, I ran the valve adjustment and the timing order using the the 13726548 sequence vs the 15426378 sequence. Finally, it started but doesn't run very well. Still trying to figure that out. However, I discovered that the engine has a MAJOR vibration (shakes the whole car in a MAJOR way). I have it married to a 91 Ford AOD (non electric) transmission. I ordered up the 28 oz Harmonic Balancer for the engine and the 164 teeth, 28 oz. Flex Plate and installed it all. Now I am told that I probably have the wrong flexplate and or balancer. I have checked with NAPA and they called the manufacturer of both and confirmed that the p/n that they used corresponds to both parts and they are supposed to be the correct 28 oz . Mfr Balkamp and Dorman. Unless someone pulled the wrong part in the correct box (pkg) they should be okay and not the cause of my vibration. Anyone have a suggestion as to what could be causing such a violent vibration, if it is not those parts? Does anyone know a real honest to God Ford Guru in the Phoenix, Az metropolitan area? My forte is Buicks of the 40s and 50s and Chevs of the 40-60s vintage.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

302 fireing order

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinnett View Post
I don't do Fords much and just recently found that Ford changed the cam grind for the 302 cu in to the Windsor grind and firing order. Took me SEVERAL tries at timing my newly rebuilt engine before someone told me they had changed in the mid 90s. So, I ran the valve adjustment and the timing order using the the 13726548 sequence vs the 15426378 sequence. Finally, it started but doesn't run very well. Still trying to figure that out. However, I discovered that the engine has a MAJOR vibration (shakes the whole car in a MAJOR way). I have it married to a 91 Ford AOD (non electric) transmission. I ordered up the 28 oz Harmonic Balancer for the engine and the 164 teeth, 28 oz. Flex Plate and installed it all. Now I am told that I probably have the wrong flexplate and or balancer. I have checked with NAPA and they called the manufacturer of both and confirmed that the p/n that they used corresponds to both parts and they are supposed to be the correct 28 oz . Mfr Balkamp and Dorman. Unless someone pulled the wrong part in the correct box (pkg) they should be okay and not the cause of my vibration. Anyone have a suggestion as to what could be causing such a violent vibration, if it is not those parts? Does anyone know a real honest to God Ford Guru in the Phoenix, Az metropolitan area? My forte is Buicks of the 40s and 50s and Chevs of the 40-60s vintage.
ford only changed fireing order on hp 5ltr engines. all other use the 15 order even the std mustang roller eng. is 15. i had silr isues,changed back to 15 and all is well. cliff
Old 12-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Old & Furious

I know the engine in my 87 cougar was a different firing order was different than a mustang engine but dont know of any changes in the 90s. But i wold not be suprised. If its a 5.0 with none mustang firing order you know its low po version. Cam change And computer swap will help and correct firing order but will still be lower compression with poor heads. I think we just covered my ford knowledge inits entirety.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:43 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinnett View Post
Somewhere around 1981-1982 Ford changed to the 50 oz. flexplate. Balancers are supposed to match the crank/flexplate, too. Unless you know the engine, there's a chance a different crank (using a different balance factor) could be in it. "...crank casting numbers, 2M & 2MA are 28 oz imbalance, 2MAE is the 50 oz imbalance crank." Of course double check this.

The firing order is determined by the camshaft. Ford firing orders

Edit- Just saw this: http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/Ford...Flexplates.htm

Last edited by cobalt327; 12-12-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:48 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

crank casting no / ??

I have had the wrong crank delivered from the supplier, machine shop. After that I mark, stamp my initials on every part going in for work. It took a while to figure out why it was making so much noise, a 390 Ford fe had a larger truck crank exchanged.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:23 AM

Last photo:

When the AOD was introduced in 1980 the 302/5.0 changed to the 50 oz balance in 1982 but the 1980-81 was 28 oz,1979 and earlier are 28 oz the 351W stayed 28 oz.Do you know what year your 302 is? The roller cam 5.0 was first introduced in 1985 if it is roller cam it is 50oz balance the 351W firing order was used on the 5.0 H.O. supposedly the idea was to relieve some stress vibration from the front two cylinders,some builders will use 351W cams in early 302's.The early 302's would have a two piece rear main seal,later used a one piece.More info here: 302 roller block Page1 - Modified Mustangs & Fords Forums at Modified Mustangs & Fords Magazine If it turns out you have a later 5.0 I have a like new 50 oz balancer I can hook you up with,just send me a pm.You may want to read this:http://www.mre-books.com/smallblockf...blockfrd2.html

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.