302 Chevy True HP! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2002, 10:59 AM
CamaroX

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question 302 Chevy True HP!

I am kinda frustrated to see no info on what I would consider the greatest SB Chevy ever. The 302 in my opinion was a high reving, monster that doesn't get the respect it deserves. To the best of my knowledge Chevy never even revealed the true Horespower figures of this car. I heard that in the late 60's many magazines dynoed the motor, with varying results. What is the true HP, and Torque figures of a stock 302 Chevy, and how much horsepower does a Crossram setup add. I would love to know, cause I have a 302 in the garage waiting to be awaked, and I want to know what its capable of. thx

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2002, 02:15 PM

485 hp at 6500 is wha comes to mind don't know how I know but there were some dynos way back when
Old 07-15-2002, 02:40 PM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

I loved the way GM has understated their horsepower ratings! Not only was the 302 "290 HP" but another comes to mind. 86 Buick Grand National, 3.8L, intercooled turbo, 230 HP, sure it was. I never dyno'd mine, but it was impressive with eprom change, head work, better air induction, upgraded exhaust. I'd be willing to bet on closer to 400 HP to the pavement.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:33 AM

I believe that the 302 is better in a lighter car. Please check out the book "How to Hot Rod Small Block Chevs" Its great and full of info that you need. The guru has spoken in there to, Smokey Yunik. Hope this works for you!
Regards,
Monnii xx
Old 07-16-2002, 08:38 AM

I remember that dyno test too. Seems like it was HOT ROD that did it. They did a 302 Chevy and a Boss 302. If memory serves they both put out right at 325 HP. I can't remember the torque reading. ( these were brand new "crate" motors )
Phil
================================================
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FiefSS:
I heard that in the late 60's many magazines dynoed the motor, with varying results. What is the true HP, and Torque figures of a stock 302 Chevy,

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: Customcab ]</p>
Old 07-16-2002, 12:37 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

yeah i have this mustang book and it said that with no air cleaner or accessories and open headers a stock boss 302 made just under 400 horses. I dont think 485 is very accurate, it sounds pretty unrealistic for a 302 cubic inch small block. Think about it, in those days of flat tappet lifters that thing would be no street engine at all and probably would get about 5 mpg. Even fuel injected roller cam 5.0s that make 485 horsepower aren't streetable. 302s are great high reving engines though.
Old 07-16-2002, 02:53 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

uh..this is a chevy we're talkin about aint it?

get the new HRM and it will tell you all you need to know. on cover:"20 (or whatever) new ways to build a sbc." it's either a 283 block/327 crank or the other way around. go to hotrod.com and find the mighty mouse article, it also yaks about a 302 claiming like 330 HP with normal asperation and 550 with a vortex blower on it. as i have never had one and never expect to see one i only used one eye when i read the article. ps. get a subscription to HRM it's only like $12/yr and it would be the best 12 bucks you ever spent, even tho they have alot of crap in there it usually has lots of good POOP!
Old 07-16-2002, 02:56 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

oh by the way, some other of that good POOP i was talkin bout was the carb test they did a few months back: i.e. the cross ram intake is a pile of the aforementioned POOP! throw it away! getta air gap or something new!!! single quad intakes or tunnel rams destroy those old junkers. even the sacred original torquers suck compared to the new intakes.
Old 07-16-2002, 03:26 PM
CamaroX

Last photo:

thx everyoen for replying, when the 302 runs again i guess i will get it dynoed or sumptin. It aint stock though so thats why i wanted to know. Racing Cam, edelbrock tarantuala intake, not stock heads, and headers all from the 70's. I will post what the dyno results are whenever i get it done. I will keep searching, i wish i could just get the answer from chevy. Did they never reveal the true hp? Im sure it wouldnt hurt any now if they did.
thx, again
Old 07-16-2002, 07:40 PM

I don't know the HP but 335 sounds believeable. I remember the first one iI saw. In late 1967 I was running a 66 442, rated 350 HP in G stock. I had taken the trophy for 7 straight weeks, wiping out all comers. A guy rolled in with a new Z28, and I thought, "this is a joke, thinking he car run with my 400 with a small block" Well, he cleaned my clock, wasn't even close. I decided then that it was time to start cheating, took a lot of money to finally out run that stock Z28
Jack
Old 07-17-2002, 08:07 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

hi, i have to correct my stupidity on a 302, to a certain degree anyway, i still don't know much other than a 302 has a 4 inch bore so i think that makes it a 283 bored out .125 inches, since if you bore out a 283 .125 it comes out to 302 cid. A 283 with a large journal 327 crank is a 307. also the article on "carbs" was really about intakes, like you couldnt figure that one out. an old tarantula? should rock! i haven't even heard that name in 20 years! in that 25 ways to build a sbc, aug.'02 HRM, the most interesting to me, other than the "norm" 383, was what you could do with an old 283: 475 HP at 8000 rpm! (w/vortec heads)
Old 07-17-2002, 09:17 AM

The 302 made from 67 to 69 that was in the Z28 had a 4 inch bore ( same as a 350 ) and a 3 inch stroke ( same as a 283 ) . The 67 had small crank journals like the 283 . The 68 and 69 had the large journals like the 350. They were a 4 bolt mains and came balanced and blue printed. The Hot Rod article they are speaking about above I have some were and I will try and find it but I believe HR said something like 425 HP. That is from memory and it ain't what it used to be.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:55 PM

My high school friend, Paul Hubble, bought the first Z28 sold in California. The engine was a destroked 327. Simple, block and pistons 327, rods and crank, 283. This allowed the highest possible lift cam Chevy could install. 8,000 RPM with no valve float. Fast car. Paul traded it in on a '70 LS6 Chevelle, that he still has. I say build it, dyno it and obtain the true horsepower.
My guess would have it at 325 or better. Fastgo
Old 07-17-2002, 03:32 PM

HP books has a picture of a 302 and under it it says stock 4bbl put out over 450hp thats in "how to hotrod small block chevys"
Old 07-17-2002, 03:36 PM

Blah, Blah, Blah. My Goodness. Chevy under rated this monster for sure but one of the jocks in school had his Mommy buy him one brand new, factory. I remember it was 325 horse 350 ft lbs torque. That was book specs. We both know it was much different real time. I do know that in the Z28 Camero that sucker would lift a front wheel from a dead stop, go sideways in third gear and just loved 6,000 rpm. I guess the only way to know for sure is to wake him up and dyno this treasure yourself. I agree with you in the fact that this beast was not recognized for the weapon it was. They weren't known for their endurance and only ran a short time before a major rebuild but wow, whatta ride. I envy you. If you ever do find out the actual specs, please share them with us.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.