302 dies when I put it in gear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Senior Shadetree

Wiki Edits: 0

302 dies when I put it in gear

I have a 1977 Mustang II with a 302, a mild cam, 4bbl carb, headers and an automatic transmission with a b&m kit. This past year it sat idle for approximately 7 months. Now, it will start, idle and runs well until I put it in gear. As soon as I put it in gear, it dies. I have drained the gas, put in Heet, ran carb cleaner through it and put in Sea Foam gas treatment. It will start when it is cold but after is dies, it won't start again. Could this be that the carb accelerator pump isn't working, OR WHAT IS IT?? Any suggestions on what I should do next??? Help!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
I have a 1977 Mustang II with a 302, a mild cam, 4bbl carb, headers and an automatic transmission with a b&m kit. This past year it sat idle for approximately 7 months. Now, it will start, idle and runs well until I put it in gear. As soon as I put it in gear, it dies. I have drained the gas, put in Heet, ran carb cleaner through it and put in Sea Foam gas treatment. It will start when it is cold but after is dies, it won't start again. Could this be that the carb accelerator pump isn't working, OR WHAT IS IT?? Any suggestions on what I should do next??? Help!!!
The accelerator pump only has an effect when the throttle is opening. Stalling in gear is usually a symptom of a vacuum leak, which is entirely possible with an engine sitting idle for an extended period. Try disconnecting and the vacuum accessories (PCV valve, brake booster, etc) and see if it still does it - if it fixes the problem, it's probably a cracked vacuum line.

Dying in gear can also be a timing issue - if the mechanical advance comes in low enough that it's advancing at idle in park, the rpm drop in gear can cause the advance to drop out and retard the timing enough to kill the engine (I just went through this with my Mustang). Something to check, anyways.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:55 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

trans hose

also check the Vac hose to the trans and the modulator.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:19 AM
Senior Shadetree

302 dies when I put it in gear

I'll check out the suggestions and get back to the forum (when the temperature gets below 100). A vacuum leak makes sense. Maybe a mouse ate one while it was parked. Thanx for the feed-back. I'll let you know.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.