302 distributor oil leak - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2005, 08:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

302 distributor oil leak

I have a 302 that has a nagging oil leak around the base of the distributor. I have replaced the intake gaskets, timing chain cover gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and the o-ring around the distributor. I have even pulled the distributor and checked that I didnt pinch or cut the o-ring when I installed it. Any suggestions anyone?

Motor is in a 65 Comet. Eldebrock Intake. Aluminium valve covers, Stock heads, distributor, timing cover.

Advertisement

Last edited by Wooky71; 12-17-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2005, 09:01 PM
OldSchool MotorHead

Whenever I get an oil leak on an old engine, it seems that there is a slight indentation where the old seal sat. When I find this, I find out what type of seal wa originally used. On old engines, rope seals were used extensivly, and you may have to use an original type seal, instead of a modern replacement. You could also take the Oring and get a slightly larger one, and slick it down with aviation sealer.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:08 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooky71
I have a 302 that has a nagging oil leak around the base of the distributor. I have replaced the intake gaskets, timing chain cover gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and the o-ring around the distributor. I have even pulled the distributor and checked that I didnt pinch or cut the o-ring when I installed it. Any suggestions anyone?

Motor is in a 65 Comet. Eldebrock Intake. Aluminium valve covers, Stock heads, distributor, timing cover.
Are you sure the source of the leak is the distributor?
How does changing all the gaskets relate to the distributor?
Surely you have a vented oil cap and a PCV on the engine so there is no pressure in the crankcase.
This is an extremely rare place to have an oil leak if there is no pressure inside the crankcase pushing oil out.

Like he said, a fatter O-ring might be what you need. Or you could put a dab of Aviation Permatex under the dist flange. But oil should not be getting above the o-ring.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:32 AM

Last photo:

re-torque the intake bolts,
it's way more likely that you don't have a (good silicone) seal across the front block top to bottem front of the intake manifold behind the dist

clean the whole area with a little carb cleaner, sprinkle some baby powder or similar, check to pin point the leak stain source

do you know the history of the block and heads (milled, decked, original?)
Old 12-19-2005, 10:08 PM

I dont know the history of the heads or block. The guy I purchased the car from just dropped it off at a mechanic and picked it up when he was done. He actully told me it was a 289 but as soon as I started checking numbers it was a 302. I have never heard of the baby powder trick. I will try that first.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.