Hot Rod Forum banner

302 engine build

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  benbee51 
#1 ·
Im really knew to all of this, and just wanted to know what would be a good start in this, also what may something like that cost.

#2 ·
Assumeing ford 302. Ford 302s are famous for ppl putting lots of money into them and getting 240 hp back in the end. You will want clear goals and budget.

Best to search out a good build with dyno results and copy that success if at all possible.

What year, car, race or street and goals.
I don't know where you're coming up with 240hp but they're pretty much just as capable as a sbc 302, they do have some weaknesses, but also have some better design aspects.

For a Ford "302" I'd start with a 5.0L HO engine, and do a cam, heads, and headers upgrade. Stock Ford heads really aren't that good, but the aftermarket ones are more than capable- as a trade off some of the stock HO short blocks are VERY durable and they can handle 400-500hp is bone stock form. The stock intake also isn't too shabby and they come with EDIS and MPFI on most applications- two great things to start with. Also have a slightly better valvetrain than sbc's. Unfortunately parts cost a little more than for a 350, you're starting with less displacement, you have a shorter deck (limits displacement), and the blocks can crack if you rev too high (a 6500 rpm redline would be pretty safe though). You can also get a good WC T5 to start with and upgrade as needed for a cheap transmission option.

If I didn't already have my chevy 302 combo I'd be VERY tempted to go the Ford route instead. (or LS which is better than both of them)

#3 ·
X2 with AP 72.
You can get a complete stroker kit to pump it up to 347 cubes. Very nice.
Also GT 40 heads can be had for a little legwork and some change $$
Just find a 96-97 explorer with a 5.0 liter in it. Grab Dem heads
Plent of good 303 grinds right from ford motorsports for a cam.
Some of them alabama boys making gobs of horsepower on Passtime with - ahem - "mostly stock" 302 s :rolleyes::rolleyes: LOL :rolleyes::rolleyes: :cool:
Welcome to HR . hang around , do some reading , ask some questions ...build something cool.:thumbup:

#4 ·
Thanks so much for the information. im just trying to find a good place to start. im at a lower than childs level in all this and just wanna learn the best way to go about it all. ive also been considering a 350 build. realized how easily i could find good short block to start from. Also if this is a reasonable question.... what would be a good vehicle to pull a 350 short block from? once again thanks for all the feed back. this website is really insightful.

#5 ·
the best "350" you can find is an LT4... but good luck finding one. I would say the LT1 is easily the next best though there are some that prefer the more traditional Vortec engines.

If it has a carb on it I wouldn't even bother with it, if it has a TBI unit that's usually not worth much either. the TPI engines are decent but the LT's and the Vortec's usually have the best platform to start with- either can go over 400hp with just a cam swap and headers.

#8 ·
throttle body injection- its where the intak emanifold looks basically like a carb manifold and you have a carb looking device with two large injectors sitting on top- it was a VERY common method of induction in the 80's-mid 90's. Its better than a carb but not nearly as good as MPFI (even if its batch fire).

#11 ·
what are your power goals? If they're modest (400hp or so) then I would start with a COMPLETE RUNNING LT1. For just that short block I'd only give about $100, as putting it back together as a complete engine is going to cost more than buying a running engine.

#14 ·
If you want to do something just to do it and get your 400hp here's my "hands on" approach.

Get a complete LT1 take the heads off, port them, get a good valve job, mill off .030" port the intake and throttle body, headers, cam and valve spring swap. I'd also do a basic EDIS conversion with junk yard parts and run it all on a megasquirt setup.

If you do a really good job you can get close to 500hp, but for a good first time out 450hp is more realistic. The EDIS, MS, and MPFI will work together to give you the ability to get very good drivability and decent MPG's too though that will be in the tuning.

#13 ·
Just a little recommendation........before you buy anything, do a LOT of reading on the engine you decide on. You'll be money ahead from not buying a bunch of parts you either don't need or can't use. There are lots of books on "How to hot rod a small block Chevy" and the same for the small block Ford. The nomenclature used in the performance world is just like learning another language.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.