Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 302 install choice
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2004, 12:13 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The port-injected Ford 5.0's are very reliable. They will accept a carb intake, but the EFI ignition advance is in the computer, so you'll need an older-type distributor. The power level varies from model to model, due to cam & head differences. The '86-'88 T-birds, Cougars, Town Cars, Crown Vics, & Grand Marquis used the standard-output version (150-160hp), & the Mustangs, post-'89 T-birds, & Lincoln Mark VII's used the high-output ones (200-225hp--intake plate says HO). I'm not sure about the '86, but the rest have hydraulic roller cams. If you can get one with the entire EFI system with computer & sensors, etc., I'd give it a try. My '88 T-bird got over 170,000 miles before any EFI stuff went bad, & the computer told me what was wrong with a simple diagnostic procedure with a voltmeter & a Haynes book. I did have to spray some junk off the throttle blade a couple of times, but that's a 5-minute job & it's right on top. EFI does require a high-pressure electric fuel pump, most of which are factory-mounted in the gas tank, which needs to be baffled to prevent fuel starvation (the gas cools & lubricates the pump).