302 leaks water, drips off back of the engine - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 01:09 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Get yourself one of those telescoping mirrors if you don't have one already. That and a flashlight works real good to get a good view of the freeze plug.

I fixed a plug on the passenger side head on a 440 in a 68 GTX once by going through the firewall. Made a hole under the dash, swapped out the plug and patched it back up. Beat the heck out of pulling the engine and you'd never know it had been done. If the angle is right it might be as simple as removing the heater box to get at it. The town car is pretty large and the 302 is small, right? Just something to look at.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 01:12 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

chevy302builder18, does the engine ever overheat on you when it's full of water? If I'm understanding you right, you're not sure exactly where the water is leaking from? But there's no sign of water in oil or oil in the water, right? And you already added stop leak but it still leaks?

If there isn't leakage of coolant into the engine and there's no seepage from between the head and block caused by the possibly broken head bolt, it is probably a freeze plug.

Also wondering if you used the Bars pellets, it comes in an 11 oz bottle, the pellets look like brown rat poison in a thick-ish brown liquid. This stuff works, I can tell you- and I very seldom ever recommend anything from a can. Might save you seriously hurting the engine and will also keep you from having to run water instead of antifreeze (or paying for AF that leaks out) if it works on your leak. Should you use the Bars, be sure to follow the directions- run the heater wide open so it doesn't clog the heater core.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:22 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last journal entry: shes dropped!!
Last photo:

i think my bro in law has done bars all i know is he said had some treatment. that the treatment had to let the car set after putting it in the hot engine then letting it cool so it would sulitify and clog the leak? And the heaters all right it works like a champ, but anyways i whitnessed him doing it wrong bc he had to go somewhere at that moment. He was hoping real bad he didnt mess the treatment up but yea i think we did do something wrong by not letting it sulitify to solid clog.. And i agree, ill pull the engine and check that out once we some $ but right now were sorta stricken with none. Im just gonna do another bars treatment
Old 05-14-2011, 04:37 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

If it has the aluminum intake, you will want to check and see if it's leaking where the manifold meets the head. It is a very common issue.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:29 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

the engine dont over heat any more, we made sure by poking a hole in the thermostat. and on the cross member is exactly where it drips off the frame. Ok let me explain this a lil more thouroughly so you guys can get the more advanced answer you can give me. I have not been specific enough im sorry for that. If you can visualize or have seen the cross member for the front end of the lincoln town car, the member its in the middle, maybe further back bc the oil pans right behind it, that signifys thats near to the back. So i was thinkin freeze plug in the back near were you mount the tranny or the freeze plug directly on the back of the engine. But my bro in law insists that the head bolt is the reason, i think it couldnt be no water coming out of the 3 foot exhuast, no detonation problems, no smoke or steam. and i cant exactly see arund the block, if i could, put some die in the water see wear its squirting.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:33 PM
WFO

Last photo:

While there is a chance the broken head bolt could be causing a coolant leak w/o the coolant getting into the oil or vice versa, or leaking coolant into the combustion chamber, it's more likely to be a freeze plug, IMO. And it would have to be one of the bolts that go across the bottom.

Something that comes to mind about the broken head bolt- makes me think the TTY bolts were reused- not supposed to do that, so when you tear it down and rebuild it, be sure to replace the bolts.

Below is a cast iron 4.6L SOHC 2V block, showing the freeze plug locations on the side of the block, as well as the head bolt location.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:56 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

wow i havent seen a block lookin that nice in awhile. But im sorry once again for not being specific enough. The engine i got is way different, 1989 ford 302 windsor engine.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

IIRC,there are three oil galley plugs behind the timing chain, and three freeze plugs on each side of the block on the outside. One water drain on each side of the block on the outside. and three oil galley plugs on the back of the block, under the bellhousing/flywheel. and one oil galley crossover under the intake in the lifter valley.JMO

Cole
Old 05-16-2011, 07:21 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy302builder18
wow i havent seen a block lookin that nice in awhile. But im sorry once again for not being specific enough. The engine i got is way different, 1989 ford 302 windsor engine.
Totally my mistake- here's the 302 block:

The point is, there are three plugs along the side of the block- any of them could be leaking, so telling exactly which one will take crawling under it to see, or use a mirror is possible.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:41 PM

Last photo:

X2 your going to have to inspect and that means more then likely your going to have to crawl under the car.JMO

Cole
Old 05-17-2011, 02:32 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

wow the blocks gotta oil filter on the front? im not a ford guy as you can tell. Its not my car anymore but if were gonna fix it ill crawl under to make sure, think we'll need some type of die to really signify were the leak is, like magna flux or something without the block being apart and out of the car, has anyone ever heard of this? I have looked but not behind the engin havent gotten the car up on ramps in awhile. This one idea bout the die check in with the auto parts store see if they have this. Save me time geussing bc usually it leaks its every where on the back of the block. Alex
Old 05-17-2011, 03:46 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
wow the blocks gotta oil filter on the front? im not a ford guy as you can tell.
You can say that again! Hard to mount a dist. in front and the pump and filter in the back.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:36 PM

Last photo:

You mite check the thermostat housing as they are bad to leak if you use the old one . I had A PITA with mine until I got a new one and yes the water WILL run every where. just a thought. good luck

OLDROD
Old 05-17-2011, 07:05 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Yea i was thinking freeze plug too, unfortunatly the pressure checker i dont have that i will have to invest in
Have you got that pressure tester yet ?

Cole
Old 05-17-2011, 10:37 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

Are you going to get under there and find it? It isn't rocket science and you don't need dye to see where antifreeze is coming from, you just have to go ahead on it.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.