302 leaks water, drips off back of the engine - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011, 11:13 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 OLDROD
You mite check the thermostat housing as they are bad to leak if you use the old one . I had A PITA with mine until I got a new one and yes the water WILL run every where. just a thought. good luck

OLDROD
Good point. With the engine running, the fan can push a leak further rearward than where it originates from. And after a drive, coolant can collect in other places than the leak, too. Then when you park the dripping won't necessarily show you the exact location of the leak.

That said, you should at least try to use the drip locations as a hint when you first go a'lookin'. And no need to take the 'easy' way out by using some sort of dye or whatever.

I agree getting under it (w/the engine running if need be- like if you cannot locate an obvious location of the leak w/the engine off) is the surest way to tell. Using a hydraulic lift would be ideal. You'll need a good light, and whatever you do, DO NOT get under it unless it's supported redundantly. Ramps alone are not enough. A floor jack alone or jack stands alone aren't enough either- you need two or more means of support, one backing up the other.

I could go on, but you surely get the idea- safety first. People die every day from crush injuries.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 06:11 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last journal entry: shes dropped!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

that is true the oldrod said, had that happen b4 on my dad. the chevy we did engine swap on did that, it was tbi aluiminuim, we some how screwed up the thermostat housing or someone before us did. Wasnt very fun tryin to re-tap the bolt hole out for a bigger bolt thats for sure. Im gonna check this all out, we might also check the acidic stuff in the radiator. You guys are a bunch of help you guys knowledge is greatly appreciated! Like im just starting hotrodding and im waiting patiently for hotrod project number one to come to clutchs of my hands and when it does i hope ya'l can help me!! Friend's, Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.