302 leaks water, drips off back of the engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 06:33 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last journal entry: shes dropped!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ford 302 leaks water, drips off back of the engine

ok well i have a lincoln town car now. Traded my bird off so we could save sentimental project. Im really feeling this car. 302 V8 its nice interior, great tone exhaust, no catalatic converters, glass packs, simple true duels aimed out the side. Well i was thinking lead sled rod type look, but before i go rodding this thing, i wanna fix this engine. It leaks water, has been over heated but this thing still running strong, only does it every once in awhile. This guy that owned it before had a shop work on it, and they broke a head bolt, back head bolt i think. No water in the oil, sure tell sign is white oil. I think this is a problem, but how can i be sure?

Advertisement

Last edited by chevy302builder18; 04-21-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Could be a seeping freeze-plug, Try to get a light in there somehow and see if you can see it. Do you have a pressure tester ?

Cole
Old 04-21-2011, 07:46 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

Yea i was thinking freeze plug too, unfortunatly the pressure checker i dont have that i will have to invest in
Old 04-21-2011, 07:48 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

ill do the light thing though, try atleast
Old 04-22-2011, 05:44 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

That broken headbolt isn't good, better pull the head and get it fixed. Also those engines are very prone to the intake leaking water if they have a stock aluminum intake. It comes from not changing the antifreeze often enough.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:45 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Over heated? Warped head/intake/blown head gasket/intake gasket. All can cause coolant leak externally and/or internally. Don't think you are in for a simple fix.

Trees
Old 04-23-2011, 05:54 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

If it's a 302 and in a Linc, it has to be a '93 or earlier. This means that it's ~18 years old or more. If it hasn't had a regular antifreeze change (3-4 years max) the coolant has a good chance of being acidic. If that's so, the core plugs and possibly even the aluminum front timing cover has significant corrosion. If it has EFI, then as mentioned above, there might be aluminum intake corrosion at the water passages. If you really like this car, then either a pull and repair or replace the engine.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:13 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

well the cars well maintained, so antifreeze is good. I have to put water in everyday! How exciting but im gonna check this over bc it seems like this shop it was takin to broke the head bolt so i dont put nothing past em, the previous owner took it to em , the intake might be missin a few! And if there is i cant believe they have customers.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:26 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

My old Mercury Marque had a leaking freeze plug, no way was the engine coming out (or trans) to fix it. Used a bottle of Bars pellets and it stopped leaking for the better part of 2 years before I traded it and it still wasn't leaking. Just sayin', beats pouring water into it every day until you fix it right- and water will take out the water pump eventually, along w/increasing the corrosion throughout the cooling system. At least w/the stop leak I could run antifreeze.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:06 PM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

yea my bro in law the one who owned it b4 me, not the guy who took to the shop, had done that also and it still leaks! I put anifreeze in every once in a while but we must have done the treatment wrong cause i can see copper floating around in it still when i put water in. That stuffs like 30 bucks! Haha man cant complain though, we havent been putting a whole lot of water in it since then, bc it used to over heat i geuss even b4 the shop did anything! So that shows it something to do with heads, intake or something
Old 05-12-2011, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy302builder18
well the cars well maintained, so antifreeze is good. I have to put water in everyday! How exciting but im gonna check this over bc it seems like this shop it was takin to broke the head bolt so i dont put nothing past em, the previous owner took it to em , the intake might be missin a few! And if there is i cant believe they have customers.
You say the antifreeze is "good". What does that mean? That it doesn't freeze? Over time the rust and corrosion inhibitors break down in anti freeze and it becomes acidic. It might still look fine and test ok for freezing point but if it's acidic, it's eating away at things. Most commonly where aluminum and steel meet, like at the intake/head area. 2 dis-similar metals and acid makes the same thing as a battery and then electrolysis sets in and eats the gaskets and aluminum. You can check the ph of the coolant but I prefer to just use a digital volt meter . Ground the negative lead and drop the positive lead into the coolant in the radiator. Anything over .150 volts DC means you need to flush and fill the antifreeze. I would actually do it if the reading was much over .100 volt.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:46 AM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

Ill try that, sounds kool! Like a science project or something. If it is ill take it to the car wash and flush it all out with normal water and put new antifreeze in
Old 05-12-2011, 11:14 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy302builder18
If it is ill take it to the car wash and flush it all out with normal water and put new antifreeze in
Not picking here, but don't flush it into the car wash drain- they reuse that water after filtering/treating, and I doubt anything they do will neutralize antifreeze. Just drain it into a container and see what the deal is in your area for recycling it. Some parts stores will take it off your hands, some areas have transfer stations or hazardous waste disposal sites.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

Of course if you have been leaking/adding coolant for a while those readings would be much lower, the damage already done.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:47 AM
mr mighty mouse

Last photo:

o i didnt know that they reused the water well ill find a place to get rid of it, and true, the anifreeze has been replaced numerous times, so checking it would mean the slightest to highest amount, but checking it knowing these facts still isnt the qeustion. So im gonna still check that, and i will use that tip from now on thank you guys for posting and imputing. Its most likely the freeze plug im putting my money on that, because it has over heated before, got water throwed in it. Could have done some damage

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.