Hot Rod Forum banner

302 is out. What next?

874 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  cobalt327 
#1 ·
I took my engine out to replace a leaking freeze plug. I am not sure if I should just replace the plugs and reinstall or if I should open everything up and inspect or replace.

The engine ran fine. I found a tag showing it was remanufactured but I have no idea how long ago or how many miles have been put on it. The casting numbers show that is is a '68.

I have already resealed the intake, valve covers,oil pan and replaced the rear main seal.

Should I be looking at the bearing, chain and bores or should I just put it back in? I am not really looking to spend money but it is out....

What are the weak links in a 302?

#3 ·
id replace the timing chain atleast. On my 302 I'm planning to replace the bearings and oil pump in mine (althought it knocks on startup) and the timing chain as well as a cam (since I tow, figured a marine or RV cam would be good to do while its out and apart) and headers and all new gaskets and seals, including valve seals. I dont plan to pull the heads or do anything to the bores/pistons/rings, but that may change after I do a compression test.

#5 ·
As said, replace ALL the freeze plugs. I have seen freeze plugs that looked OK that were basically a paint layer away from leaking. Take an awl and poke on a few that weren't yet replaced and you'll probably see what I mean.

Other than that, I would button it back up and reinstall it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.