Hot Rod Forum banner

302 SWAP in a 90 Ford Ranger

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  14rd2nv 
#1 ·
I have a 90 ranger with a 2.3 it is bodydropped, air bag suspension, convertible,and everything has been shaved on it! I took it to a shop to have the air bag suspension put on it and it came back running all crazy! The only thing that would keep it running was if i sprayed carb cleaner then it would run for a bit then die. running really rich too! I would drive it then park it in the garage and after 2 or 3 days it would be dead! Dead battery? I took it back to the electrical shop and they could not find anything drawing from the battery? If I put a 302 in it will this take care of all of my problems or do I have to fix this charging problem? I am wanting to put a 302 out of a 96 explorer in it with a c-4 transmission. Would I want to put a painless wiring kit in it? I have alot of questions so if you guys can help me out I would really appreciate it. I took it back to the electrical shop and it ran for 3 days then died again! I want to put a 302 in it now! I SPENT ALOT OF MONEY ON THIS THING AND I CANNOT DRIVE IT! Thanks in advance! Sorry for the long post just wanted to give some background on my truck! Help!

#4 ·
ranger forums

There is a lot of info on the ranger forums. I ordered info from a company that specialized in S 10 and Ranger V 8 swaps. I did my own 302-c4 swap. I did a 2 in body lift to get more room, I used maverick V8 motor mounts and stock Cast iron manifolds, Made my own frame brackets for the motor mounts, I had to hammer the firewall flange and heat the heater box with a big hair dryer type heat gun and deform it to get valve cover clearance. the oil filter and fuel pumps have interference. either get a remote oil filter and rubber hoses to put it in an easy location for oil changes, or use a 460 van oil filter castings , it will let you rotate the filter , 70's something econoline vans with AC and Ps use and upside down looking fuel pump or get an electric one . I used a 5.0 mustang drive shafts parts and did not have to have one cut.

#6 ·
The simplest and cheapest thing to do would be to diagnose and repair the battery and running issue you currently have.
Changing an engine and pursuing a buildwith a 302 is a definite upgrade , but hoping it cures a battery drain and a no run condition is like amputating a leg because you have a headache.
Fix what you have first , get it running , learn something in the process. After yo get it running, think about the 302 build and do your research on the build.
I have seen too many guys get "into" a build and have the car scattered 60 ways for sunday only to get sidelined by something and then the project gets sold.:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

#8 ·
wiring/charging

Thanks guys for your input! I appreciate it very much. I have replaced alternator, starter, battery and computer. I am still having this charging problem it has to be a ground wire! 20 people have looked at it and 2 shops! I cannot believe we cannot figure it out! I was always going to put a 302 in it and now I was thinking that maybe this would fix itself by putting the new carburated 302 engine in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.