302 swap into a ranger - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Having money helps

Wiki Edits: 0

302 swap into a ranger

Its been a while since Ive been on here but need some help.

Im in the process of doing a 302 swap into an '88 ranger regular cab. Im trying to get everything that I can get done / purchased prior to bringing the truck in this sunday afternoon. The bottom end is done less oil pump and pan (need to convert to rear sump). The heads are at the machine shop as I write this and should be back tomorrow. Im trying to pickup an intake for the quadrajet I already have (keep my budget to a min.) but havent had much luck.

Im will also be running an electric fuel pump and I assume either switch to a short oil filter or remote filter setup.

Since I dont have the truck to look over yet Im at a loss for things like the driveshaft, motor mounts, steering pump, exhaust and guages.

The ranger is a four cylinder, 2wd auto.

The replacement is a 302 with C4.

Has anyone done this swap? I know there are a few sites dedicated to these swaps but they only make mention of steps and possible parts needed and refer you to buying the manuals or other material.

My question(s) is motor mounts, can I use stock 302 mounts and drill new mount holes in the crossmember? Do I have to buy aftermarket mounts? Ive done this stupidly before on other projects, bought mounts for twice the price of the same regular mounts.

Can stock cast manifolds from an old ford be used instead of the specific hedman headers?

Does any have or could provide info on ford cars / trucks with rear sump oil pans? when I call any parts outlet they just look on the computer but need specific years and vehicles for reference so I come up empty handed.
If someone has a mid 80's mustang / pickup with a rear sump oil pan please let me know what type of vehicle and year...

Any help or usefull info from anyone who has done this swap would be much appreciated...

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2007, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

I did this swap with a 89 Ranger, shorty. You will need to trim the lower inner corner off the heater box. To clear the valve cover. The C-4 sat in the same place as the C-3 that was in the truck. Using the stock Ford floor shifter. I used Hedman shorties, as I could find no readily available Ford manifolds that would work. I used a piece of 1/4" steel approx 2" wide to span the block side engine mount bolts, then bolted the frame mounts to the steel. I can't remember (Old timers disease, CRS) what rubber mounts I used. Probably the old four banger stockers. The pan to use is called a "double sump" it had a sensor hole in the side and a longer pickup tube, two drain holes. I used a junkyard radiator, One that fit the width measurements with a bit of trimming.

Engine was a 302 +.030 KB flat tops, aftermkt heads, 270 cam, 650 Holley. 2500 stall, shift kit C-4. Dual flowmasters down the right side. Truck was a real tire fryer. Sold it to a good friend of mine. He sold it because of a traffic citation problem.(too many).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Having money helps

thanks for the info.
I was told this morning older broncos had a rear sump pan as well. I cant even find a 302 pan let alone a double sump - trying to find parts around here is a joke. Ive been shipping used stuff up from as far away as texas because the kids behind the counter at the parts store can only find new parts by 'year, make and model'.
The wrecking yard here has a hundred 351 and even the odd 429 but not a single 302. As a sidenote I stumbled on a 429 tunnel port from '68 but didnt have the tools or time to pull it the day I was out... would have been an awsome alternative to the 302.

Did you use a radiator that fit under the front support? if not did you use a stock waterpump mounted fan or electric?

Im going to try the stock motor mount alternative or at least look at that possibility when I get the truck.

Any further insight as to parts or methods feel free to post them...
Old 03-28-2007, 01:39 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Summit Racing has double sump oil pans.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294908331

Where is Kelowna?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:00 PM
GM Tech

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
Summit Racing has double sump oil pans.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294908331

Where is Kelowna?
British Columbia, Canada.
Any oil pan and pickup from any '80s rear drive car will work. A Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Mustang, LTD, Fairmont, etc. Just pick one and order it, say a 1984 Crown Vic with a 5.0L. You will also need one main cap bolt with the stud and nut to retain the long pickup and the dipstick and tube, as they go in the side of the pan and not it the timing cover on rear sump pans. There really is no more sump on the front so the dipstick won't go in all they way You will want to plug the old dipstick hole.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Having money helps

Perfect, year and vehicle. Ill try calling back in again tomorrow.

Ive looked through summit, theyre great and ive had excellent luck with them in the past but shipping and duty are what kill me on anything bought retail from the US.

The pickup / main cap bolt is something ill really have to remember.

Already plugged the timing cover dipstick tube. So long as one of the above mentioned vehicles has a dipstick in the rear sump then great. I had no dipstick in my camaro because of the tight fit with the headers and it sucked.

Picked up the heads a few minutes ago and they look great, bolt them on tonight.

thanks for the links and the info.

and yes kelowna is in BC, 4 hrs east of Vancouver in the sunny okanagan.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevyc10
Perfect, year and vehicle. Ill try calling back in again tomorrow.

Ive looked through summit, theyre great and ive had excellent luck with them in the past but shipping and duty are what kill me on anything bought retail from the US.

The pickup / main cap bolt is something ill really have to remember.

Already plugged the timing cover dipstick tube. So long as one of the above mentioned vehicles has a dipstick in the rear sump then great. I had no dipstick in my camaro because of the tight fit with the headers and it sucked.

Picked up the heads a few minutes ago and they look great, bolt them on tonight.

thanks for the links and the info.

and yes kelowna is in BC, 4 hrs east of Vancouver in the sunny okanagan.
get a mailbox provider on the us side and have parts shipped ther saves the unreal brokerage and alot of the time if it is for a rod and you tellthem they just wave you threw, at least hear in surrey.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Having money helps

I had a post box in Bellingham but customs in Abbotsford were a-holes - If I wind up doing a lot more of this like I plan that may be a good idea to setup again.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:59 PM
floppers forever

if you put a body lift on you won't have to cut the heater box and things fit good.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.