302 upgrade - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2002, 09:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 302 upgrade

I've got a 302 with a two brl out of an 85 granada. I was woundering about how thease perform and are they worth messing with? I'v got an edlebroc rpm performer for it so I can upgrade the carb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2002, 09:40 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

A 302 is a 302 my friend. Its a great foundation. two barrel is no good, so go ahead and throw that intake manifold on there with a 600cfm carb. Also, 85 is better than years before it because in 1985 ford started using roller cams. This doesn't mean that it has a roller cam in it, but it does mean that more than likely the block will accept a roller cam. The heads are just like any other stock ford smallblock heads. They are good for low end torque, but thats about it. They don't really have much performance potential as soon as you start to beef up the rest of the engine.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:25 PM

I have to agree a 302 is a good foundation but not all 302's are the same If i were you I'd sell what you have and look for an 86 to 93 mustang 5.0 ho these 302's can use your intake and best of all they came from the factory with forged pistons and a beefie bottom end. As well as a roller cam.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:34 PM

Destroked:
Do the 85 and later standard 302's have forged pistons? Or only H.O.?
Old 10-04-2002, 06:10 PM

Cool

I'm pretty sure only H.O.s have forged pistons, those stock heads are really the limiting factor.
Ford does sell some Iron GT-40 heads that flow O.K. and there only like 600 bucks. If you want to really pile on the beans give a call to Trick flow and show those import guys why bigger air pumps make more power.
Boo-Yah!
Old 10-05-2002, 02:55 AM

302s i think are the best motor out there its about the only one i havent blown i drove one in my crown vic for over a year with a blown head gasket and no oil pressure because the bearings were shot and the oil was gettin into the antifreeze i tried and tried to break that engine millions of times always failed never stalled nothing im still impressed you can do unimaginable things to a 302, ive seen some pushign 800+ Hp they are sick motors
Only H.O. motors have roller cam and lifters, they also have forged pistons and the 351w firing order already discussed in many topics( i said that before any one else did lol) but even if you dont have the roller assembly it will easily take a roller cam and lifters, easy as a *** job
you can get heads real cheap they usually come stock with 184 intake and i think like 156 exhaust or somewhere along them lines, i have two 302s and i still dont know whether im goin to use them or not because i love them i just wanna go bigger hehe i have the H. O. and the regular hydraulic 302 cant break em

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.