304 exhaust hot and cold - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 01:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

304 exhaust hot and cold

It's a 304 amc with edelbrock carb.Right side header heats up and the left one stays warm,you can touch with your hand,what would cause this ?
Thanks for reading

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2008, 01:36 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckhotrods
It's a 304 amc with edelbrock carb.Right side header heats up and the left one stays warm,you can touch with your hand,what would cause this ?
Thanks for reading
Is this just at idle, or after driving it?

Either way, the left side is running too rich, from your carb adjustments, or you have a mechanical problem causing it to not build enough compression, and have a short 'burn' time in that bank.

This could be the valve "adjustment", or push rod length.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:46 PM

Last photo:

Possibly could be a plugged exhaust pipe or bad muffler (broken baffle) blocking one side and sending the exhaust through the exhaust cross over in the intake and out the other side?
Old 11-07-2008, 04:27 PM

Last photo:

The headers connect to sidepipe mufflers, left side mixture screw is turned all the way clockwise and no change.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Then you have a carb problem. If the mixture screws don`t change the idle then there is a issue elsewhere. With the engine at idle and air cleaner removed, shine a light in the carbs throat and see if any fuel is dripping out of the boosters. If not, next shut the engine down and see if white smoke begins to rise out of the carb. You have fuel coming in where it shouldn`t or a rather healthy vacuum leak on that bank if the idle screw don`t respond or even possibly a plugged idle circuit. If there is no vacuum leak then check the fuel pressure first, it shouldn`t be over 5 pounds, if you have no fuel pressure gauge get one. Or, the needle could be sticking open on the seat, and lastly, the float setting is too high.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:31 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckhotrods
The headers connect to sidepipe mufflers, left side mixture screw is turned all the way clockwise and no change.
Do a compression test of all 8 cylinders, closed throttle, and with an open throttle test. I'll bet the left bank is lower in both tests.

You could have a 'vacuum' leak at the carb base gasket, or intake gasket. The A/F ratio will also cause a 'miss-fire', but I do not 'suspect' this.

Now that it has wound down here, I can give my reasoning for my thoughts.

In any machining processes, block or head surfacing, if one head, or the left side of the block, or a combination there of, was surfaced more than the other side to a total of .030 difference, and the total pre-load of the lifter is too much.

Last edited by carsavvycook; 11-07-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-09-2008, 10:49 AM

AMC Enthusiast

May sound dumb, but my first thought was stuck exhaust manifold heat valve -passenger side manifold. But since has headers... maybe someone pushed a potato in the right side exhaust pipe, or some other prank to clog it.

I've had this happen to me and I was trying everything else to fix it, only to discover a clogged exhaust pipe. -sure made a fool out of me!

-mean prank, not funny...
Old 11-09-2008, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcramblermarlin
May sound dumb, but my first thought was stuck exhaust manifold heat valve -passenger side manifold. But since has headers... maybe someone pushed a potato in the right side exhaust pipe, or some other prank to clog it.

I've had this happen to me and I was trying everything else to fix it, only to discover a clogged exhaust pipe. -sure made a fool out of me!

-mean prank, not funny...

I was thinking the same thing last night! LOL Reminds me of Eddie Murphy in one of his Beverly Hills Cop shows.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.