Hot Rod Forum banner

305/350 how to tell the diffrence

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  stepside454 
#1 ·
recently I replaced the motor in my truck not a hot rod but a daily.
I bought an old wreck truck which I was told had a 350 in it . It didnt matter to me as long as it ran .

Ok so now that it is in I was wondering how to tell whether it is a 305 or a 350 any help would be appreciated

#2 ·
there`s a few ways, one is be the casting numbers on the back drivers side on the bell housing, but they maybe hard to see. another way is by the suffix code on the front passengers side head deck, right below the alternator. since small block parts interchange and you don`t know the history of the vehicle, there is really no way to know from just a visual appearance, as i`ve heard the story before "it`s the original engine" and the suffix code told otherwise. however, on the side of some blocks, there will be a "010" which indicates a 4 inch bore, which could mean it was one of 3 blocks, 302, 327, 350, most likely a 350. however, the best way to tell are the 2 mentioned above.

#3 ·
the engine suffix code is the easiest way to me. its stamped on the passender side cylinder deck. its right behind your alt. it is a piece of the block that protrudes out towards the front of the motor right behind your alt. it some times needs cleaned to be able to read it. it should be a long number with atleast 2 letters at the end of it. (usually it is 3 letters.) the 2 or 3 letters are all you need.
some times there is another set of long smaller stamped numbers, these are for the engines factory warranty. they mean nothing for this purpose.

post the letters you find and i will get back with you as to what motor you have and the factory rated H.P.

if you cant find the engine suffix code then the block casting # on the back of the block is your next best guess. it is on the drivers side on the bellhousing flange. you may need a small mirror to peek between the motor and firewall to see it.
if that is what you find post that number and im sure if i dont get back with you someone will.
it will look something like 3970010

there might be an easier visual method of ID but i dont know it.

later
bondo

:smash: :smash: :smash:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.