305/350..what do you think????? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008, 03:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
As a general rule, "bigger" parts means bigger HP, but it means it shifts the power up in the RPMs. Bigger cam, head ports, compression, carb, intake, etc... it all has to be matched. The nice thing about bigger engines is that you can get that bigger power without shifting things up in RPM.

A stock TBI engine (which is what I assume you have) has the tiniest of everything; tiny cam, heads, TBI (carb), and tiny displacement. They were done that way basically so the vehicle had a means of moving around; not much power, but great on emissions and MPG.

When we talk about upgrading an engine for more power or torque, we are basically banking on the fact that the factory made very mild engines. We can put some slightly "bigger" parts on it and get nice power upgrades without putting the power too high in the RPMs. Factory engines typically use parts that make it suited for low power from idle to 4500 rpms. Street engines use head, cam, intake, and carbs designed for 1000-6000 rpms. Race engines use bigger parts and usually don't make power until the 3000-7000 area. The ticket is choosing the right "bigger" parts so that you match the target use with your desires.

On the street, size is king, so a 350 will be much easier to get your power goals without revving to the sky to get it. Then you fine tune it depending on your use. A performance truck that sometimes tows a boat? You're going to want to keep it on the mild side of that 1000-6000 rpm range. A light-weight Camaro that only gets driven on the street on the weekends? You can get away with a lot more.

The other thing to think about is the rest of the vehicle. You can modify a stock engine a little bit without changing the rest of the vehicle, but keep in mind that torque converter stall, transmission gearing (and strength), rear axle ratio, tire size, traction, rear axle strength, and a whole host of other things come into play. For instance, in that truck, chances are it has a monster rear axle with 4.10 gears already, but the Nova might have a wimpy 7.5" rear axle with 2.73 gears. The more power you add, the more you have to modify the rest of the car to match it.

But... most mild street performance can be dropped in place of a factory wheezer without too much modification.
Sorry Curtis, didnt see your reply!!! Didnt mean to step on your toes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcs
Sorry Curtis, didnt see your reply!!! Didnt mean to step on your toes...
No toes were harmed during the formation of your post
Old 10-01-2008, 04:50 PM

Last photo:

305s arent as forgiving to overly larg camshafts, or carburaters. when "hopping " up a 305, you have to stay pretty coservative, or youll kill what power it does have. a rumpety cam in a 305 would be an RV type cam in a 350.'
As far as MPG, in some cases a 350 gets better MPG than a 305. depends how its used.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:59 PM

im putting the 350 in a chevy caprice 91'.....the guy got the 350 from a police intercepter, he said it was a roller motor...i took the valve covers off and there is no roller rockers at all....kinda mad, i am also getting a posi rear end, im not sure the gear ratio....i have a 305 in it now and i want to put the 350 in and be impressed....my 305 runs fine now but i dont think it has much compression at all.....the 350 we tested, and at idle it had 70lbs. of oil pressure...i think thats good....i have time...i can save the money i just want to do things right the first time and make sure i can get as much out of the 350 as possible. my caprice's computer is all set up for tbi.....i want to know what i could do to keep the tbi, but upgrade so it will be better....i dont know what to buy or what would be good for this......Thanks everyone for your advice and help
Old 10-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

"roller motor" means the cam, not the rockers. GM didn't use roller rockers on any of their motors.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:19 PM

i have some pictures of the block numbers....on the back its 1493638.....and i have pictures of the other longer number.....i dont know if anyone could maybe find out the history of this motor....

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...4/DSC03332.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...4/DSC03337.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...4/DSC03340.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...4/DSC03341.jpg

if anyone could help me maybe find out what this motor is capable of i would appreciate it....thanks everyone
Old 10-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Earplugs are in the glovebox

Last photo:

The bigger the better, Don't build a 305 its like the Bast@rd child of Chevy performance. Also, if you do a 350, why not make it a 383? Look in Summit or Jegs and you can purchase complete stroker kits for around $850. Might as well if you have to have machine work done to the reciprocating assembly.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.