305 or 350Ci? Please help.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 06:32 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

305 or 350Ci? Please help..

I have a guy trying to sell me a 68 Camaro that he claims has a 350 in it. I snapped a photo of the casting #'s on the engine block near the intake manifold. It looks like it reads 5.0L or in other words a 305. Anyone really know there engines could you tell me what you think of that photo? Thanks a bunch, I've attached it to this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_2_10.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	51723  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 06:43 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

That, my friend, is a 305 all day long.

I wonder what else he's lying about??
Old 01-16-2011, 08:27 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
That, my friend, is a 305 all day long.

I wonder what else he's lying about??
Maybe he's too ignorant to know himself. Could be when he bought it, he was lied too and hasn't figured it out yet. Either way if the price isn't too high, it might be worth a little bartering being you now know it's a 305 and you could get the price down a little. 68 Camaro's are getting hard to find at a decent price and you could always drop a 350 in after you get it.
If the price IS really high and he is out and out lieing, you could put the word out that it's one to stay away from.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
Maybe he's too ignorant to know himself. Could be when he bought it, he was lied too and hasn't figured it out yet. Either way if the price isn't too high, it might be worth a little bartering being you now know it's a 305 and you could get the price down a little. 68 Camaro's are getting hard to find at a decent price and you could always drop a 350 in after you get it.
If the price IS really high and he is out and out lieing, you could put the word out that it's one to stay away from.
I agree Sqz, i wouldn't let the 305 stop me if it's priced right anyway.

Cole
Old 01-16-2011, 10:53 AM

Last photo:

he wants 17000 for it. the 305 is rebuilt and does have some of the bells and whistles. mostly edelbrock headers, intake, etc. new 700R 4 gear auto trans, B&M quick / slam shifter. Body is in above average shape with completely new interior. all electrical works but needs a new fuse box i saw alot of rust on the fuse box terminals. speedometer isn't working, aftermarket gauges installed near the center dash. oil gauge doesn't work on the aftermarket install. water temp and volts do, and the RPM tach works. What do you think on description alone? rear air suspension too.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMLV
he wants 17000 for it. the 305 is rebuilt and does have some of the bells and whistles. mostly edelbrock headers, intake, etc. new 700R 4 gear auto trans, B&M quick / slam shifter. Body is in above average shape with completely new interior. all electrical works but needs a new fuse box i saw alot of rust on the fuse box terminals. speedometer isn't working, aftermarket gauges installed near the center dash. oil gauge doesn't work on the aftermarket install. water temp and volts do, and the RPM tach works. What do you think on description alone? rear air suspension too.
What kind of valve cover bolt pattern does it have? Center bolts or 4 on the lips? Center bolts would be a dead give away to the 305. 4 bolts on the edges might be an HO 305. A run of the mill 68, not anything special, would only be worth 10K or less in my book and that would have to be in very good condition.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

You were wise to do your home work. Most guys do nothing then they get mad they got ripped off afterwards not realizing it`s there own fault.
While it maybe true the guy was told it`s a 350 and maybe he don`t know the difference, or maybe he`s telling you it`s a 350 to pump up the price.
I`ve seen this pulled a 100 times in the past. A guy in my neighborhood had a 305 for sale as I identified it by it`s casting number. Yet he was advertising it as a 350 simply because he was told it was a 350. In the condition you discribe I don`t think it`s worth what he`s asking. You could point out to him it`s confirmed it`s a 305 and if he`ll get right on the price you may do business with him. And Sqz, I`m a bit confused, how are center bolt valve covers a dead giveaway to a 305?
Old 01-16-2011, 04:42 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
Sqz, I`m a bit confused, how are center bolt valve covers a dead giveaway to a 305?
Now that I think about it.....................? your right. What was I thinking? Too many Margarita's last night.

What 305 was ever painted GM orange from the factory?
Old 01-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Strawberries never die

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Centerbolt or not. Does that matter how?

A 305 is a torque mini mouse with the 350 stroke. If you want late 80's vette acceleration a 305 can do. 300hp is a nice mild build for the Vortec 305, but do not expect much more. After finishing up a 305 vortec head swap performer cammer , they can move. Really fool you with a lump of torque. The 305 auto with 3.73 is much more impressive, than the Ford 302 auto with 3.73 rear gear.

350 will give you a easy 375-420hp with out breaking the bank. Will honor respect. Cost no less. It should be the option taken when replacement is needed.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMLV
all electrical works but needs a new fuse box i saw alot of rust on the fuse box terminals. speedometer isn't working, aftermarket gauges installed near the center dash. oil gauge doesn't work on the aftermarket install. water temp and volts do, and the RPM tach works. What do you think on description alone? rear air suspension too.
This is a big warning sign to me. Interesting that the others work, but not the oil gage, the most important one??

Also, why is the fusebox so rusty, did the car spend its life in a high humidity area? Or part of the rust belt? What do the floor pans look like?

Have you driven it at all, how does it ride, shift, brake.

I'd also want to get the car up on a hoist to check the underside well. Bushings, control arms.

This is someones project that they gave up on, dont pay top dollar for it unless its a piece of art.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.