305 a boat anchor? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2006, 04:04 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

305 a boat anchor?

does anybody have anything good to say about a 305?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2006, 06:30 AM

My 305 was a strong engine with no problems except a leaking oil pan gasket. I never missed a tune up, changed the oil regularly (well the filter at least since it was always going trough oil!) and I drove with a very heavy foot with no problems. I still miss that car!
Old 09-08-2006, 06:33 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

their normally cheap to buy since everyone just HAS to have a 350, BUT they can be built to handle just about anything u throw at them & I've seen a few go over 300,000 w/just changing the cam(i guess they're soft)... but here's a good article on building up a 305.....joe
Old 09-08-2006, 06:51 AM

Last photo:

Sure. They are very good, dependable engines and have been used in a zillion GM cars over the years, produce reasonalble HP, and hop up parts are readily available and inexpensive. All good things.

But, and this is the biggie, I suspect your question is raised because you have repeatedly seen people advised to pass on the 305 and build a 350 instead. Here is the reason: Dollar for dollar, if you are going to try to hop up an engine, you get the most bang for your buck with more cubic inches. If you are going to go to all the trouble of building an engine it just makes sense to start with the biggest cubic inch engine in that family.

Now, some Chevy experts on here will be able to give you more specific info, but generally it boils down to the more cubic inch issue I mention above. If you are simply looking for moderated HP and a great, dependable engine, a 305 is fine.

Don
Old 09-08-2006, 06:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

boat anchor implies that the motor is junk from the factory (the 301 pontiac for example). 305 chevy is certainly not that. NOt a real tire smoker by any means but a good reliable motor. They can really get some great gas mileage too. Got over 20mpg with mine in the firebird with 2.73/th350.

K
Old 09-08-2006, 07:14 AM

Last photo:

I put a cam in my brother in laws 84 chevy truck at 275k last summer.That is the only major repair done to it since his father bought it new.
Now the body of the truck.........rusty!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 08:07 AM
OldSchool MotorHead

The problem with the 305 is in the oiling system. The rear oil galley for the cam is too small. Hence, the unusually high number of cam replacements done in the aftermarket. They usually get 60K from a stock motor, then need a cam and lifters. So...that said...if you want to build one, make sure you oil that cam properly. If you go over 3,000 RPM's regularly, you will eat the stock cam pretty quickly. I do agree with the "cubes" theory. If I want a smallblock to build, I'd start with a 350. Also, when choosing an engine to build, try to find a block and heads that were manufactured in 1976 or prior. 1977 is when they started thin-casting the blocks and heads to lighten the engines. Also, look through the lifter ports with just the cam installed and make sure the lifters will be centered on the lobes. I've seen quite a few blocks that have aslittle as 50% contact between the lifters and cam. This may work for a stock grocery runner, but not for a hotrod engine. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Bottle Fed

Last photo:

The 305 in my 86 C10 just turned 176,000 miles. Its uses a little oil but runs fairly well and gets about 16 MPG with an electronic carb.

Weak power from the factory but very reliable.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnTool
The problem with the 305 is in the oiling system. The rear oil galley for the cam is too small. Hence, the unusually high number of cam replacements done in the aftermarket. They usually get 60K from a stock motor, then need a cam and lifters. So...that said...if you want to build one, make sure you oil that cam properly. If you go over 3,000 RPM's regularly, you will eat the stock cam pretty quickly. I do agree with the "cubes" theory. If I want a smallblock to build, I'd start with a 350. Also, when choosing an engine to build, try to find a block and heads that were manufactured in 1976 or prior. 1977 is when they started thin-casting the blocks and heads to lighten the engines. Also, look through the lifter ports with just the cam installed and make sure the lifters will be centered on the lobes. I've seen quite a few blocks that have aslittle as 50% contact between the lifters and cam. This may work for a stock grocery runner, but not for a hotrod engine. Good luck.
huh, never heard that before, interesting. I always heard the only years that had cam problems were like 77-79 and it was due to a poor quality metal used on the camshafts.

88 and later blocks are all roller and have the one piece rear main, so they're actually pretty decent mills. NOt to mention you're probably going to get some type of EFI with it too.

K
Old 09-08-2006, 09:44 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:

The thing I have heard about the 305 is that it has a smaller bore so the big valve aftermarket heads won't work on a 305 block...However if the stock heads are cleaned up and one uses a late block with the roller cam and does some of the Hotrod tricks on it it is certainly not a slouch..

Comes down to the block over yonder or the one in the garage for a lot of guys..

BTW there are some circle trackers that use the 305 as a rules deal to keep the competition even and they are having a good success with the 305..

Sam
Old 09-08-2006, 09:53 AM

Last photo:

Ive had good luck with 305s. I do agree dollar for dollar a 350 is cheaper horse power for sure.
As far as the valve size goes...its only 305 cubic inches , 1.94 intake valve is more than sufficiant for even the healthiest street 305.
I built a mild 305 for my 86 ElCamino. it ran 13.70s with 3.08 gears.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:12 AM
OldSchool MotorHead

In my 24 years of fixing cars for a living, a 305 with worn out cam lobes and bearings is not an unusual finding. Since they have been replaced with other engine lines, we don't see them much anymore. Like I said, if you bring the RPM's up over 3K, then it wears out fast. The rearmost oil galley is undersized and it deprives the cam of oil at high RPM's, thereby causing the damage. If you run the 305 in a car that is just used mildly, then you can get good life out of it, but watch the RPM's. Enlarging the galley and upgrading the oil pump is my recomendation for anyone keeping a 305.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:29 PM

Last photo:

i kick the **** out of my 305 he never complains
ported heads ,mild cam, 10.5:1 comp heads were mild allot, headers etc and
sniper 150 shot hp only thing i changed was a head gasket in 3 years of high
rpm abuse
Old 09-08-2006, 01:43 PM

Last photo:

You can get get a good 305 used for almost free.

They get good gas milage.

Good torque.

They will last forever if you don't abuse them.

Theirs no reason you can't hot rod them.... I had a 305 with ram horns, a holley 600, RV cam, preformer intake and it did pretty damn good.

Like alot of people around here I have quite alot of parts laying around so I figure why not use what you have.

However if I had to buy all the parts new, intake, cam, carb ect theres no way I would spend the money on a 305.

Jordon
Old 09-09-2006, 05:29 PM
eat a beaver, save a tree

Last photo:

techntool,

i've turned the 305 in my wifes car around 5,000 rpm every day i've drove it 5 years without the first problem. i've seen plenty of 305's that have had the dog **** ran out of them with no cam or bearing problems. there was about 3 or 4 years the chevy had some bad cam cores that gave them a problem, but i think that was in the lat 70's & early 80's. the 305's & 350's had some cam issues in that time, but it was bad cams. i've never heard of the 305 block oiling being any different than any other small block. not saying your wrong, but i will have to see it to believe it. what is smaller? the back of the cam tunnel or the real oil feed hole? can you post some pictures of the differences?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.