Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 305 build help
Thread: 305 build help
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 12:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

305 build help

hello,
Ive used this site for ages to look at already asked questions but it is now time that i ask my own, so any help would be appreciated.

I just bought a 305 w/ flat top pistons, said to be about 10:1 compression, stock heads, no cam, clean crank,etc. i bought this for a 1986, c10 truck. I am starting with the motor and working my way back as needed.

My question is, i am building this motor for street/strip, mostly street but i do tend to find my self at the track on weekends. It is a chevy 85' 305 block standard bore with the stock crank. I was looking at a cam that will give me good performance street and track as well as allow me to upgrade my heads without buying a new cam when i eventually do so. I played with that Comp cam program and found 12-246-3 to be to my liking...Duration @ 0.006": 274 / 286 Duration @ 0.050": 230 / 236
Max Lift w/ 1.5RR: .487" / .490" Lobe Separation: 110

First, is that a cam for me and how much do you think i need to do to my stock heads to make it work- springs/retainers... ect...?

I also have a buddy with Trick Flow Heads TFS-31400001 that i can get cheap. Should i just go with those since they already have the needed springs, lift clearence, milling etc.

And if so should i stick to this cam choice?

I know its alot of questions but any help is appreciated. thanks