305 Cam - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Superior Wheels Quality Tech

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

305 Cam

Alright here's the deal.. I'm lookin to replace my worn out cam in my 305 but don't want to spend a lotta money on it and may wanna possibly get the most bang for my buck.. Anyways its pretty much a stock '81 305 with stock intake, manifolds, Q-Ject Carb, HEI distributor, stock limited slip rearend, and a TH-200 tranny with stock lock up torque converter. So I was lookin through a Summit magazine and noticed their summit cam kits for $79.95 which comes with hydraulic camshaft and lifters. The one I'm looking into most is:

Part #: SUM-K1103
Duration Intake: 214
Duration Exhaust: 224
Lift Intake: .442"
Lift Exhaust: .465"
Lobe Separation: 112

Was wondering what everyone thinks about these stats.. From what I have learned it seems like it would give good power from around 1,200 rpm to 5,000 rpm. Which would be perfect for the every day street use. Any input would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Matt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2003, 09:38 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I`d advise going a step lower to the 204 214 duration cam which matches the spec of the edelbrock performer plus camshaft, it suits the small cubic inch 305 better. while your in there add a true roller timing set.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:56 PM

Last photo:

Will do.. Kinda planned on you bein the one to respond hehe.. Hopefully I'll be gettin a job by the end of this week so I'll use my first paycheck towards it.

Would there be any advantage to forkin out the extra $35 to go with the Edelbrock kit? Or is that just an extra $35 for the name?

Last edited by Silver_Camaro; 10-01-2003 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:03 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

The edelbrock cam comes with stickers,other than that there the same cam.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

Aw I've always wanted those stickers to fill up my back window to make it look like my car is fast!! lol not really... 35 bucks is a wee bit too much for a few stickers.. Although I wouldn't mind havin some performance company stickers just to decorate my bedroom walls with. lol
Old 10-02-2003, 10:05 AM

Last photo:

I ran that same grind 204-214 duration .420 intake .443 lift exhaust cam in my 78 305 for about 10 yrs. Worked great for that engine, I Agree. Don't expect a drastic power increase with just the cam. You will probably grab an honest 20-25 hp over stock with nothing else changed. A good 600cfm carb, weiand 8004 intake or the equivelant, free flowing exhaust and a steeper set of rear gears like 3:55's would make that wheezer a runner.

Don't expect to win many races with it though, if it's an 81 305 it's got pretty weak flowing heads with small valves and intake runners. 45 fewer cubes than the 350 with the same stroke crank isn't helping much either. But it's still a good little engine. Start bolting on parts and have some fun!

BTW it was an SSI cam sold through Performance Automotive Wholesale in CA. Name brands do mean something too. Two cams with the same specs might perform differently due to manufacturing tolerances that might be overlooked on the cheaper cam. SSI is a generic cam company but I have had good luck with them. Both my Camaros and my Duster360 are running SSI Grinds in them with no problems!
Old 10-02-2003, 11:58 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info goldduster.. Right now with my G-tech. I'm getting approximately 110 to 120 ponies and 130 torque at the rear wheels.. 1/4 mile in about 17.8 - 18.2 sec at 75 to 80 mph. And concidering that last time I pulled the valve covers off (around 5 to 6 months ago) some of the rockers weren't coming up as much as the others.. So I'm pretty sure a new cam will make a HUGE difference.. Kinda afraid to see what this old cam and lifters look like lol. Also I do plan on getting headers and a set of roller rockers in due time... Which do u think i should get first between the headers and rockers?
Old 10-03-2003, 12:15 AM

Last photo:

headers. with roller rockers, your out a lot more $$ and you really won`t notice any difference. I would just invest the cash into a set of valve springs matched to the cam.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:08 AM

Last photo:

Double vision is right, go with headers, free flowing exhaust system. Roller Rockers on that mild cam and springs probably would not even show an ET improvement unless maybe they were more than 1:5 ratio but then again when you pick your cam right you don't have to change rocker ratios.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:13 PM

Last photo:

I also have an 81 305, in a 35 ford. Put a factory 300HP 327 cam in and it does great. Got a noticeable lope but it's good for zero to 3000 RPM range. Anything more would probably require a stall converter to be able to idle. Check Ebay and you should be able to find one. Be sure and install new lifters. My 305 has a performer intake, 650 edlebrock carb and headers, does just fine, mascarades as a 350 with no problem. Folks with 350's are wanting to know what I got. Also, stay with the small tube headers ( 1 1/2 inch if you can find them.) Good luck.

Last edited by beetle9; 10-03-2003 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:39 PM

Last photo:

Alright.. Thanks.. Would you recomend the edelbrock valve springs found in summit catalog? Part # EDL-5802. Since the summit cam I'm getting is the exact same as the edelbrock cam kit.. Also these were the cheapest I see as well hehe.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:36 PM

Last photo:

I`m not sure how many catalogs you have on performance parts, give this one a try, they don`t have the amount of parts as summit or jegs, but they often beat there prices, if you haven`t already, check out:
www.northernautoparts.com
As for the valve springs you can likely get them from Pioneer from the link just posted at a better price.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:34 PM

Last photo:

Hey double.. Got one of their catalogs around here sumwhere.. hehe.. I've got catalogs from soooo many different suppliers.. Jegs and Summit seem to be the best reference though.. They have about everything.. I'll find it in the catalog then search around for lower prices. Thanks a lot for the help

Matt
Old 10-23-2003, 12:43 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Hey guy, I ran that exact cam you mentioned from summit in my Firebird (305 chevy). I have 2.73 posi in it with some heads off of an 88 camero which have a bit bigger valves and smaller cc combustion chambers. Also has a 600 edelbrock carb and headers. I would disagree with using a smaller cam, I really like the way mine pulls. Get this: I pulled up to a stoplight about a month ago and up comes next to me an 81 camero and he starts in about how hes got a 350 out of a corvette in it. I told him, look man, I'll run for fun, but you'll tear me up. Well, as it turns out, he pulled ahead of me for about 45 feet, then my cam came on and I pulled a good couple of car lengths ahead... with a 25 year old 305! Buy the 214/224 cam, it's worked great for me and built some great hp for my old 305. Idle is not rough at all either.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

Hey DoubleVision.. I was wondering what you think about killerformula's comment? I know that your very knowledgable and respect your word. I seem to wanna go with the 214 224. And even if it does come out with a lopey idle I won't mind. Just as long as it produces more power where its needed. Let me know what ya think.. And thanks for the information killerformula. Its pursuading me more and more to go with my original cam choice.

-Silver-

P.S. Others replies are welcome as well...

Last edited by Silver_Camaro; 10-31-2003 at 08:54 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.