305 cam swap hydraulic roller to stander haudrailic. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 01:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

305 cam swap hydraulic roller to stander haudrailic.

it`s a 1990 chevy 305 is it a question of valtrain length. or oil valley bores not lining up.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

You can place a flat tappet cam in place of the roller. Just use flat tappet hydraulic lifters and flat tappet lenth pushrods, other than that there is no other issue.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74chevyflat
it`s a 1990 chevy 305 is it a question of valtrain length. or oil valley bores not lining up.
Chevy put standard flat tappet cams and lifters in roller cam blocks for the TBI truck engines. The oil holes are the same, the push rods are different length due to the difference in lifter length between roller and flat tappet.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
You'll need a flat tappet cam and lifter set. Then a standard set of pre roller cam pushrods. Then a standard flat tappet cam timing set of gears and chain.
I highly recommend installing a thrust button. The roller cam wasn't put in for performance, it's there cause modern oil doesn't have enough phosphorous and zinc additives to protect the rubbing interface of a flat tappet lifter. So making sure the cam doesn't depend on the lifters to keep it's front to back thrust vibrations under control will help it live longer as will running heavy equipment rated Diesel oils such as 15-40 RPM Delo or Shell Rotella. Other brand oils and different weights inside the two mentioned, including synthetics, are playing Russian Roulette with this interface.

There will be no alignment problems only the lifters will look lost way down those roller holes, not a problem. You leave out the spider and all the roller lifter alignment stuff.

This assumes you're retaining the self aligning rockers. If you ditch those for non self aligning, then you'll have to modify the heads for guide plates and get hardened push rods.

Bogie
Old 05-21-2007, 08:24 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
modern oil doesn't have enough phosphorous and zinc additives to protect the rubbing interface of a flat tappet lifter.
Everybody keeps saying this but I've broken in a few flat tappet cams over the last couple years on regular 10W30 oil and run the engines with the same brands and have had no issues. I've never run diesel oil or any additional additives.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

305 cam swap

What is visibly different between the two kinds of rocker arms?
self aligning and non-self aligning? is one roller ball fulcrum and lock nut. not really much of the car expert. Any gains or losses in performance?

what would be a good cam to match up with the stock springs?? performer? or voodoo?? before pouring hard earned cash into this thing. any info greatly appreciated.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
What is visibly different between the two kinds of rocker arms?
self aligning and non-self aligning? is one roller ball fulcrum and lock nut. not really much of the car expert. Any gains or losses in performance?

what would be a good cam to match up with the stock springs?? performer? or voodoo?? before pouring hard earned cash into this thing. any info greatly appreciated.
Self aligning rockers have two stamped raised bosses that ride to each side of the valve stem. Looking at the rocker from the top when the rocker cover is off, it will have long dimple on either side of the valve stem. Non self aligning rockers will not have this feature, they will have a continuous surface.

Bogie
Old 05-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Stroked Z28

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
Everybody keeps saying this but I've broken in a few flat tappet cams over the last couple years on regular 10W30 oil and run the engines with the same brands and have had no issues. I've never run diesel oil or any additional additives.
The odds are still in your favor (more hyd flat tappet cams live than die), but a correlation has been established. Running diesel oil (and the GM EOS) have been found to lessen the chance of cam failure upon cam break-in (as they are rich in the zinc which aids in the break-in process).

Comp cams has gone so far as to include a tech bulletin with their cams (at least mine had it) recommeding the use of Rotella with their Hyd Flat Tappet cams for break-in.

I saw on another forum where somebody lost a Crane cam. It was replaced under warranty, but he claims that he was instructed to run Rotella & EOS.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

Cam interchange

Do the roller springs on the vlalves accept a fair amount of lift?? or should they be changed? i have a set of hardly used springs off of a 350 but had shims underneath them. NOt sure why . i measured them and the stock springs and they are smaller in an uninstalled height. could i use these springs on my 305 ??

Even though. if i decide to use the stock springs due to lack of budget. what could be the max lift on the cam i choose?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.