305 Combo what do you think? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 08:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I really wish there was a smiley for roflmfao! Thank you for correcting me about the differences between the two. Both cars can be made into very angry track machines. cobalt, isn't the Buick GN a g-body? I would give a left testicle to have one of those. Amazing cars. I think it's safe to say that due to the age of 80's cars now, along with the massive change of engine technology, they're all rusty old dinosaurs destine for the scap yard. when thinking of a g-body or an 3rd gen f body, All i see are bad mullets and zz top music videos. BUT, I love my 3rd gen, and I do like g-bodies. the cars have an amazing aftermarket, and thats what really counts in my book.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 08:21 PM

speaking of wet noodles, they can handle really well if the were designed like that. AC Cobra anyone?
Old 06-29-2010, 09:08 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusz28
cobalt, isn't the Buick GN a g-body?
Sure- it also had a decent rearend and a turbo engine that could be made to run.

Just like their were third gen F-body Formula Firehawks, some had a Dana 44 rearend and a decent engine.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:18 PM

very true. i'm lucky to have a 305 and a 700r4 with a solid body. i would shoot myself if a had a v6 or an iron duke. i really hate the small ring ten bolt in my car. blew it up with the stock engine.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:19 PM

well, oddballs aside, both cars have mad potential and are cheap to build. thats what i love about older gm cars
Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

"Fact is, they're BOTH **** ty unless a lot of mods are made. And neither would be my first choice for a street prowler if a tight budget was involved."

Exactly the point, making anything this old street legal and road worthy will break the budget and schedule for a street rod, but the F-body has 2 kiss-of-death problems no other car has:

1) the heater core, the first part bolted into the car, everything inside the car has to be removed to replace it, a MAJOR PITA.

2) the fuel tank, with 20 - 30 years of rust & junk in the tank it needs to be replaced. Ever replace a fuel tank in an 3rd gen F-body? You'll never do it a second time, neither will any shop you try to hire and you need a twin post bay lift to do it. Just not worth the bother.

" All i see are bad mullets and zz top music videos."

Rick James in Jerri-Curl and cheap leather from 'Super Freak'
Michael Knight with a disco hair-helmet and Member's Only jacket
Metro sexual pink, mauve and teal from Miami Vice
Big hair, spandex and nipple rings from any 80's metal band
Michael Jackson's glove
Mel Gibson from 'Lethal Weapon'

the list is endless, thanks for the ear worm in my head.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

Actually, the heater core on them is _really_ easy to get to, just remove the hush pannel and bottom of the box and swap... I think I did it in like an hour and a half the last time, and most of that time was trying to get the heater hoses disconnected.

You want a headache, try doing it in a fox chassis ford (mustang, t-bird, cougar, LTD, marquis, fairmont...), that one really is like you describe, I'm not kidding, the whole dash has to be removed from the firewall, steering column dropped to make room...

The fuel tank pretty much does suck in them, but I've never seen one with an issue with rust. Usually the problem is the fuel pump, and if you're going to be doing extensive work to it as far as I'm concerned you might as well make an access door to get to it rather than drop the tank.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:59 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
very true. i'm lucky to have a 305 and a 700r4 with a solid body.
You are in as good a shape as one could reasonably expect- just some HP, a diff and some stiffening away from nirvana!
Old 06-29-2010, 11:10 PM

Last photo:

"Actually, the heater core on them is _really_ easy to get to, just remove the hush pannel and bottom of the box and swap... I think I did it in like an hour and a half the last time, and most of that time was trying to get the heater hoses disconnected."

Thanks, learn something new everyday.
Too bad it's a day late & a dollar short, I haven't seen one of these in the shop in 10+ years.

"The fuel tank pretty much does suck in them, but I've never seen one with an issue with rust. Usually the problem is the fuel pump, and if you're going to be doing extensive work to it as far as I'm concerned you might as well make an access door to get to it rather than drop the tank."

For collision work it's R&R, on the frame rack it's a massive PITA. All the ones that I've dealt with had attached filler necks, apparently there are ones with removable necks.

If you read the article from CarCraft, thrash in the tank was their problem, it was running out of gas over 4000 and ran flat after that. Looked really stupid for a magazine project car, all that money and time for nothing.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:03 PM
User that registered

Last photo:

I'm grabbing a t-56 tranny for my car. Also gonna try to grab a stronger rear end for it.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
You are in as good a shape as one could reasonably expect- just some HP, a diff and some stiffening away from nirvana!
asbolutely my point! I bought an lt1 take out from a 95 impala ss for $500 and I'm planning on 415-425 at the crank with 040 over bore and stock heads... yep the rear is a big concern of mine, but, when i blow it up again, I'll put something stonger in it. stiffening's a no brainer on the car, but thanks for reminding me! i always forget about that.
When I had to do the heater core on my car, the center counsel had to come out, dropped the steering wheel down, unbolted the dash and swung it about 45* out from the passenger side. BIG PITA! Never did a tank in it...yet. but i'm switching to a fourth gen plastic tank for the efi. i think its also 2 gallons bigger.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbullet44
I'm grabbing a t-56 tranny for my car. Also gonna try to grab a stronger rear end for it.
GOOD MAN!! t56 all the way! you can get the whole setup for cheap on ebay now days. a stronger rear end may even be more expensive than the trans. You can also build the stock diff pretty strong, they'll take some real abuse with some work. I may even do that.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:23 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
You can also build the stock diff pretty strong, they'll take some real abuse with some work.
Well... I'll just say that I think the cost for everything needed to "beef up" that puny rear end would be money much better spent on an entirely different unit. But it's your ride and your call.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:16 PM

Last photo:

A brand new road test of a 1991 Trans Am nets the same numbers as the 150,000 mile road test at CarCraft, not too bad at all.

Brand new road test
Old 06-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

$500 for an LT1 intake off of a b-body? the last b-body LT1 that I got I paid $100 for the whole thing, throttle body to exhaust manifolds...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.