Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 305 compression testing
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by allansmith859 View Post
OK Im getting confused. Im trying to see if I can use this 305 engine. Its the block and rotating assembly. The guy who had it said HE THOUGHT one of the rings was bad cause of a little smoke out the exhaust. That could be from a valve seal. I was asking if I could just bolt ANY heads on and take a guage, screw it into the spark plug hole and turn the engine over and see what it reads for every cylinder. If I do that what can I learn about every cylinder.
Yes just put a tea spoon of oil down the spark plug holes to make sure its got oil on the cylinder walls and you can use a starter motor to check compression turning over by hand will be to slow but may show any major issue. but really without the starter motor you will be in a crap shoot unless it reads perfect results. It will read very low if tunred by hand rings will have time to bleed down but that is normal for engine it only seals if its turning a little fast enough.

Smoke can be casued by bad valves seals usally. Ring too of course but seals usally go bad first. If no heads just check the bore for the cross hatch in the cylinder walls. If you have a lip in cylinder walls that cant be cleaned its usally needs rebuild. (Not Carbon but iron ground away)