305 compression testing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 05:48 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

305 compression testing

I have a 305 sbc in the basement and I was wondering, can I use a compression gauge and turn the engine over to determine if the rings are still good and that its got the right comp.. The bottom end is still in the block. i have a pair of good truck heads I can put on the block. Can I do it this way or does it have to be actually hooked up in a vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 06:00 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

"Truck heads" are probably 350 heads with larger chambers.
Very low compression ratio on a 305. Use the 305 heads.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 AM

I guess what Im trying to say is, I want to know if the engine still holds compression. Make sure all the rings are good. Im trying to see if its still good so I can put it all back together or throw it away. So I was just going to bolt those heads on for now and hook the gauge up to each cylinder and test it. What should it read or how would I figure that out.

Thanks
\
As far as those 350 heads on a 305 Why wouldn that be ok. And what about 305 or 307 heads on a 350.

Last edited by allansmith859; 11-07-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 AM

305 compression testing

Most 305 heads have a 58cc chamber or smaller and small valves. The larger valves help with higher RPM flow. The 350 truck heads have 76cc chambers with valves as small as 1.72 & 1.5 to 1.94 & 1.5. Here is some examples. An 305 engine with 5cc flat top pistons and 58cc chamber heads will have a compression ratio of 10.0 while the same engine with 76cc chamber heads will have a 8.2 compression ratio. Another 305 engine with D cup 12cc pistons with 58cc heads will have a 9.2 compression ratio and with 76cc heads will have 7.7 compression ratio. As for testing compression on each cylinder by turning it over by hand IDK, but logically thinking I would not think you could spin the motor over fast enough to get an average reading.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:22 AM
More dogs than bones

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

A cranking compression test is good with the carb removed or wide open.

A Cylnder leak down of each cylinder will get more in depth analysis if you find the location of the leaking air.

The oil pump output pressure belive it or not, is a excellent indicator of remaining engine life.

If the heads are off flip them over and fill the combustion chamber with water. The shut valves should retain the water pool in the chamber.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:38 AM

OK Im getting confused. Im trying to see if I can use this 305 engine. Its the block and rotating assembly. The guy who had it said HE THOUGHT one of the rings was bad cause of a little smoke out the exhaust. That could be from a valve seal. I was asking if I could just bolt ANY heads on and take a guage, screw it into the spark plug hole and turn the engine over and see what it reads for every cylinder. If I do that what can I learn about every cylinder.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by allansmith859 View Post
OK Im getting confused. Im trying to see if I can use this 305 engine. Its the block and rotating assembly. The guy who had it said HE THOUGHT one of the rings was bad cause of a little smoke out the exhaust. That could be from a valve seal. I was asking if I could just bolt ANY heads on and take a guage, screw it into the spark plug hole and turn the engine over and see what it reads for every cylinder. If I do that what can I learn about every cylinder.
Yes just put a tea spoon of oil down the spark plug holes to make sure its got oil on the cylinder walls and you can use a starter motor to check compression turning over by hand will be to slow but may show any major issue. but really without the starter motor you will be in a crap shoot unless it reads perfect results. It will read very low if tunred by hand rings will have time to bleed down but that is normal for engine it only seals if its turning a little fast enough.

Smoke can be casued by bad valves seals usally. Ring too of course but seals usally go bad first. If no heads just check the bore for the cross hatch in the cylinder walls. If you have a lip in cylinder walls that cant be cleaned its usally needs rebuild. (Not Carbon but iron ground away)
Old 11-07-2012, 12:42 PM

The cylinder walls look great. There is a very little amount of surface rust that has appeard in two of the cylinders at the very top but I can clean that off. There is no lip at all they look very good. If I put these cylinder heads on this block which is bored .060 over with flat top pistons (head # 14101083). Would it be a good little street motor depending on cam choice and other applications??

Last edited by allansmith859; 11-07-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I have a 305 sbc in the basement and I was wondering, can I use a compression gauge and turn the engine over to determine if the rings are still good and that its got the right comp.. The bottom end is still in the block. i have a pair of good truck heads I can put on the block. Can I do it this way or does it have to be actually hooked up in a vehicle.
Don't see why this wouldn't give some sign of ring quality. The engine is probably pretty dry I'd put some lube on the cylinder walls before putting the heads on. A leakdown test may prove to provide more valuable information than a compression test if you've got a compressor you can use to presurize the cylinders.

Bogie
Old 11-07-2012, 12:53 PM

How do I do a leak down test??? What about puttin these heads on this engine if everythings good?? (14101083)
Old 11-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
How do I do a leak down test??? What about puttin these heads on this engine if everythings good?? (14101083)
Leak down test is a air hose in the spark plug that pushes air into the cylinder at tdc and will let you hear if the air is leaking form crank case or intake or exhuast. Not really as useful if the heads are already off you can see any major issues.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Old & Furious

Corvette heads are sought after you can sell them and buy a rebuilt set of 305 heads.

083 are 64cc heads normally hot 305's have 58cc heads. if its less compression its going to fall short on power for sure. But i am not much info on 305 engines i just toss then out of the way for something larger. But they can make some good power if done up right.

You may be able to find 58cc heads pretty cheap. They have small bore so many ppl over look them. I have used the heads before on larger engines to gain compression. But not a good choice for any major power upgrade. But will make a nice little street motor.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:08 PM
More dogs than bones

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

You want a set of 305 58cc 1.84/1.50 valves 1985 heads that hold water? If i can find them Pm me. You pay shipping.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:15 PM

So you are saying I cant use these heads for a stock 305 engine that has normal power.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:32 PM

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:

it'll run.. but you'll be happer with 305 heads..

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.