305 engine valve stem seals - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2002, 07:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 305 engine valve stem seals

Hi chevy friends,
my bone stock, mint Caprice Classic Brougham, (V8, 305?)"89
starts with a blue smoke after a nightlong standstill.
I guess thats the valve stem seals; I'm living in Dominican Republic and nobody around here has the recommended tool to change the seals. Question: is there a way to change them without that special tool? (I don't want to take the heads of)
Is this a very difficult job? Following Haynes or chilton manual it looks pretty easy. Any help? Suggestions?
Pablo
<a href="http://www.casalindaonline.com" target="_blank">web page</a> casalinda@codetel.net.do [code] </pre><hr></blockquote>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2002, 08:55 AM
All Throttle...No Bottle

Thumbs up

Pablo....I just changed my valve seals this past weekend. I never realized how simple heads are until then. I pulled my heads off but I have heard that you can change the seals with the heads on. Now this is just what I've heard, so I don't know how true it is, but I was told that you can put air pressure in your cylinders to hold the valves up (if you don't do this the valves will fall into the cylinder and you will have no choice but to pull your heads). I think this is done by putting the right fittings on an air tank and hooking it up where your spark plugs go. You will have to have a spring compressor. I would recommend going to auto zone and renting one for a few bucks and then returning it when you're done...they'll give all your money back. Make sure you tell them you're not pulling your heads so that they give you the right compressor (the one I used was really old and looked like a big c-clamp..heads had to be off to use it). I'm sure there is someone on this site that knows more about this than me and I feel pretty confident that they will post more info for you so wait a couple days and see what these guys have to say. I hope I have helped...HRS10
Old 06-29-2002, 09:06 AM

thanks, Hotrod, but there is no such thing as Autozone down here in Domincan Republic. you don't know how lucky you are in the US, just drivin to the next speed shop, buy the part or tool and that's that.
Anyhow, thanks for the reply, will try my luck. Maybe it's even better to take the heads off and check heads and bore and so on.
pablo
Old 06-29-2002, 11:42 AM

Dont know if summit delivers there but heres the address summitracing.com they have the tool you need.if you dont have a air compressor take a 1/4 inch cotton rope about 8 feet stuff it in your cylinder leaving about foot hanging out turn motor over by hand till piston smashes the rope agaist the valves then you can remove the springs.this will hold the valves in place.hope this helps.(wrenchturner)
Old 11-21-2007, 11:30 AM

Valve seal replacement

Just to confirm that the comment about the cotton rope is good advice and really important and easy to do. Make sure when you get an air compressor that it's big enough to maintain good pressure because you'll get a little leak-down while the air's holding the valve closed so the pressure's got to be maintained well. There are several different designs for the lever that you'll use to compress the valve spring, remove the keepers and retainer, etc. The simplest one is just a stamped steel lever with a slot in the end and it's very hard to use and requires strength in your arms. Go for a tool that is adjustable and provides good lever action...it makes it much easier when you're reassembling the valve spring, retainer, keeper.

Quick 58

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.