305, good, bad,? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2006, 03:08 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

What about the little Holley 450cfm 4bbl (mec. 2nds)? Would that be 2 small? Or would the 500cfm 2bbl be a better carb?
I have 1 flowmaster allready, and I like the sound. I had not heard of the bad flow problem before is it a big problem?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2006, 03:40 AM

Last photo:

as always...here we go again with "which carb is best"....my answer is "which carb tuner" is best....tuning for a heavy vehicle that is going to constantly want to tip into the secondaries due to Hg drop from high motor load driving normal

For mpg best, with any carb brand, simple enough to mount a vacuum guage on the column in the truck so you can train you size 12 boot to accelerate so that the Hg doesn't drop below 10-12Hg....and tune for the highest Hg at 70mph

depends on the weight and gears and tire size and how much intown versus hwy to decide "if" you want smaller primaries and do you want a 4V carb,

geargrinder,
I disagree with alot of the content of recent posts, suggest you study build ups for 4x4 trucks....
Old 05-04-2006, 05:00 AM

Last photo:

geargrinder, your 450cfm post showed up after my last post,

"all has to work together"= you pick the carb to go with "what" cam/tri-Y's/gears/wt/etc. and depending on intown or hwy %

small (?) primaries on the 450 in town can hurt (13 and 23mpg post above with a q-jet in a 3400 lb car....you are heavier) and helps on the hwy

set your priority, MPG or power, intown or hwy, middle ground for all is a 450-500 cfm 2V (it is a 2V from the factory in a truck for good reason)
Old 05-04-2006, 12:23 PM

Gotcha! Thanks for all the input on this guys. I'm new to the hole "better milage" thing so I feel like I'm flowndering around alittle on this one. I'm more interested in around town milage without it being a dog than anything else.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
geargrinder,
I disagree with alot of the content of recent posts, suggest you study build ups for 4x4 trucks....
Funny U should say that, I have been doing the 4x4 thing for the last 10 years. And I'm not sure how ALL the 4xers are doing it, but I know for me and my old crowd ALL THE POWER U can get, and keeping it runnin' @ ANY angle/bounce is the key. That SUCKS dead dinos like theres no tommorow I had a 454 in my last trail rig that pulled hard from 1000rpm all the way to 5500rpm, it rocked! But it got 5-6mpg

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.