Hot Rod Forum banner

305 heads for my 307 small block chevy

9K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  ap72 
#1 ·
Hi friends,

my name is Alex and i am new in this forum which i think is extremely useful.

I have a SBC 307 (casting 3970024) with stardard cam, flat pistons and heads (heads casting #3927185), running with a new 670 Holley Street Avenger 4bbl carb, Edelbrock performer plane dual, headers, new HEI distributor 65.000 volt internal coil, Accel 8.8 mm spark cables

I just bought a comp cams kit K12-238-2 to install it cam p/n CL12-238-2 but i have not installed it yet, what do you think? Comp cams recommended this size of cam for the size of the 307 cubes.

What would be the best 305 heads for my 307 if i really want to rise the compression ratio of my 307?

DoubleVision and MachineShop recommended a set of 416 casting 305 heads at 61ccs and have 1.84" intake valves

I really need help...oh by the way i live in Santiago, Chile, and i doubt there could be here a good pair of 305 heads

Alex

See less See more
#3 ·
That cam would be a good match, but it'll require the correct valve springs and good oil, if you get the kit with the springs you'll just need to watch your oil, and be sure to check the installed pressure.

As far as heads... in Chile you may need to deal with what you can find. At that lift level good bowl/valve seat/chamber work will make the most difference.

#4 ·
thank you! the comp cams combo K12-238-2 includes:

#12-238-2 Camshaft Roller Hydraulic

Lifters: 812-16
Matched Valve Springs: 981-16
Valve Spring Retainers: 742-16
Valve Locks: 601-16
Valve Stem Seals: 501-16
Timing Double Roller Chain Set: 2100
Assembly Lube

Also i bought Comp Cams #1412-16 Small Block Chevy Magnum Roller Rockers 3/8 studs, 1.52 Ratio

As for the oil, i changed the motor oil recently Chevron 20-50, would this oil be good enough?

Maybe someone here knows someone who has the heads for sale...

#5 ·
I have a set of those heads for sale, but by the time you get them shipped to Chile its probably not worth the cost. Just the weight and brand isn't enough to know if its good oil, you need to check to make sure it has enough zddp, and that can vary across brands, weights, even countries. You can also buy additive for your oil, but again I imagine that shipping the zddp to chile is pricey. You may have good oil there, or may not, I'm not familiar with it.

#7 ·
Don't have pics right now, I can take some this weekend, they're 416 casting, machined for 1.94/1.5 valves, ported, polished, surfaced, screw in studs, milled for guide plates but the slots are untouched so you can use either. My machinist said he may buy them off of me, I'll be seeing them today so I'll know by tomorrow, if I still have them I can look into shipping- BUT i imagine it will be high.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.