305 tpi won't fire up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 06:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

305 tpi won't fire up

I have an 87 Monte with a 305 tpi out of an 86' camaro that will not fire. I have spark and fuel, but it just won't fire up, and I made sure I was at tdc when I dropped the distributor in. I replaced the cap, rotor, coil. Any suggestions would be very helpful. I am charging the battery now, as I ran it down trying to get it to fire last night. I read on another post that someone had a faulty tach and disconnected it and the engine fired, could that be a cause? I was also thinking about the wires going to the starter, is there a place I can get a diagram of what wire goes to what post? So I can eliminate that.
Thanks for the help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 06:25 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

How did you make sure it was at TDC?
Old 07-07-2010, 07:44 PM

Tin Cup,

If you have spark and you have fuel it should at least backfire or something.
I would first check the Battery wire that goes to the cap and is located next to the Tach wire. The terminal next to the fire wall is for battery voltage and the wire next to that is the tach wire. These wires are in a connector and should only go on one way But if the locking clip has broken off then this connector could come loose and the engine will not start.

How do you know you have fuel?

Scholman (retired)
Old 07-07-2010, 10:36 PM

I turned the crank by hand until the marks on both gears were at 12 o'clock, I was told that was tdc. I then dropped in the distributor, making sure the rotor was pointed at the #1 position. That is how I read to do it.

scholman, It has backfired through the intake a few rare times. I have turned the distributor a little at a time, then tried to fire it, no luck. There are two connectors at the base of the distributor. The one with two wires goes to the coil, the other has four wires, I believe, and goes into the wiring harness to the firewall drivers side. I can smell the fuel, whether it is getting enough or not I will have to check. Could a vacuum leak cause this, vapor lock. Just brainstorming, someone suggested it.
Thanks for the help
Old 07-07-2010, 11:00 PM

Tin Cup,

Now that the engine is back together rotate the crankshaft until the timing marks line up. Then look to see where the rotor is pointing. It is either pointing to the #6 wire or #1. If it is anywhere else the distributor is in wrong.

You did say this was fuel injected right?

Scholman (retired)
Old 07-07-2010, 11:15 PM

Yes, it is fuel injected. I'll line up the timing marks and check the rotor. If it is off, do I pull the distributor and stick a long screw driver down there and turn it until it lines up with the #1.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:05 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Sound correct. A lot of people forget and drop the dist. in with the dots at 6 and 12.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:04 AM

T-C,

If the engine is port injected then the distributor also tells the computer which cylinders to inject fuel. If it is throttle body injected then this is not a worry.
Also the computers are not the same so if the original engine was Throttle Body Injection and you have installed a Port Injected engine then you must up-grade to the newer computer.

Scholman (retired)
Old 07-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

What was in the Monte originally? Also are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you have the distributor in correctly? Look at a diagram again and see where #1 is at on the cap. DOUBLE CHECK YOUR PLUG WIRES. Two wires are easy to get switched around. I want to say 7 & 8 but am not for certain at the moment. If you have had it firing and backfiring, it sounds like a timing and / plug wire issue.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:30 PM

The car originally had a carburated 305 in it. I got a 305 tuned port injected with the ecm. I got a new ecm because I didn't trust that the one that came with the engine worked. The diagrams that I have found say that the #1 firing position on HEI should be at 5:30. I am assuming that, or thought I saw, the square end of the cap with the two connectors is 12 o'clock and points towards the firewall. I had checked the plug wires for connectivity?, they fell with in the acceptable range for their length.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:40 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

If you dropped the dist. with the engine at TDC it doesn't make any difference what the location of the cap is as long as you start your firing order with #1 spark plug wire on the tower where the rotor is pointing.
Do you have a vacuum advance control on your HEI or is it supposed to have EST (electronic advance control) ? Reason I ask is the EST system has a connector in the wire harness on the passenger side of the firewall and without it, there will be no advance control to your distributor from the computer. In order to set the initial timing that connector has to be disconnected or your initial timing will be 20* or more retarded when you set your initial timing.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:37 PM

New news on the car! It fired for a second but then stopped, like it wasn't getting enough fuel. Do you think that could be the fuel pressure regulator adjusted to low. I mean the little screw on top screwed down too much? When setting the initial timing, Do I disconnect the wire and then turn the distributor to adjust the timing while using a timing gun. And then when I've got it where I want, I plug the connection back in.

Another question for you guys, I have traced my fuel pump wire from the computer to the fuel pump relay in hopes of eliminating the switch I put in to turn the pump on. While doing this I found that 3 of the 5 wires going to the relay are hot all the time. One of the other two lights up for two second and then turns of when the ignition isn't engaged. Any suggestions on how to find out why these wires are hot when the key is off?

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.