305 upgrade - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2010, 08:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

305 upgrade

I have a 82 z28 305 with the junk cross fire injection,I want to install a 1988 350 intake and carb,t.b.i. of course.will I have any problems with this match? I am also going to put an edelbrock cam for the t.b.i 305 with shorty headers.does anyone know if this will increase my factory 165 h.p?I dont need alot of ponys but would like to hit the 200 mark,this engine has the factory 416 heads.thanks Ross

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 05:18 AM

Last photo:

I have a 81 El Camino with a modified 305.it's got 416 heads,a 91 roller cam block with a mild Comp Cams roller cam,600 Edelbrock on a Weiand dual plane intake and Ram's Horn exhaust manifolds.This is a 4 speed car.It certainly runs good for a 305,I would estimate about 230 hp.That's quite a jump from the stock 160 ish,but this engine was a deal,otherwise I would rather spend the money on a 350.
I suppose if the parts you want to use are inexpensive,your exisitng engine is in great mechanical shape,then go for it.In the long run it might be money better spent to build a 350 and drop it in.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

We call cross fire injection "Cease fire injection" Do yourself a favor when you do the swap, get some Venom Injectors. TBI injectors after a 100,000 miles are pretty much shot. While they will last well over 200,000 miles as I`ve seen, you notice, especially when pulling a load that it has no power past a certain point on the gas pedal, in fact power seems to drop off, this is due to the injectors not putting out enough. When I changed injectors over to Venom`s I noticed a huge power gain. You will have to install a adjustable fuel pressure regulator with vacuum compensator which is avalible on Ebay. I also agree if you can you should find a OEM roller cam block. Raise the compression ratio up to 9.5:1, give it a small computer compatible cam, K&N air filter, venom injectors, spiral core spark plug wires, double roller timing chain and you`ll see over 200 horsepower, plus it`ll have plenty of low end torque and good fuel economy. The venom injectors, since they put out more fuel than stock are sensitive to fuel pressure changes as I`ve found on my 4.3 V6. You will also need a fuel pressure bung that bolts on to the TBI fuel inlet line so you can check the fuel pressure.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:35 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Siiter
I have a 82 z28 305 with the junk cross fire injection,I want to install a 1988 350 intake and carb,t.b.i. of course.will I have any problems with this match? I am also going to put an edelbrock cam for the t.b.i 305 with shorty headers.does anyone know if this will increase my factory 165 h.p?I dont need alot of ponys but would like to hit the 200 mark,this engine has the factory 416 heads.thanks Ross
While it's not a particularly hard swap to do, I don't see there being a big power increase in the CFI to TBI swap.

If you're after more performance AND there's nothing wrong w/the CFI, AND (I know, I know ) you're a "hands on" kinda guy, you can enlarge the ports/runners and gain quite a bit of flow and with that, more performance.

If not, that's cool. I understand your wanting to ditch this system for something different. But just letting you know that there are options to swapping to different intakes, TBI, chips, etc.

The stock, unmodified TB's you have flow about 550-557 CFM. Enough to easily support over 300 HP on your 305 engine. If you had a 350, it wouldn't be as easy to say to modify the CFI, but given your modest goals, I don't see why the CFI couldn't be used to good effect- unless it already has some kind of major issues.

The intake itself is the restriction, as can be easily seen:

Modified port on the left vs. Stock port on the right.

Before the injectors/TB of the CFI becomes the restriction, the intake, exhaust system and camshaft would come first.

There are likely dozens of articles on the Crossfire, but one I bookmarked earlier, is HERE.

There's at least one FORUM devoted to the Crossfire. All the F-body and Corvette forums that cover the early '80's have info, too.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.