Hot Rod Forum banner

305ci with a 142 weiand supercharger

12K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  stepside454 
#1 ·
hi
a friend of mine has a 1982 camaro
with a fresh rebuild 305ci in it (and wants to keep it that way!!!)

it is a 8.4:1 compression

hypereutectic pistons with moly rings

305 heads fully ported and a Little chamber work done

30 degree back cut on the valves in 1.84/1.5

headers 2 inch dual exhaust with 40 serie flowmasters

summit 1003 cam kit lift in/ex 442/465 122 lobe sep

k&n air filter

high out put accel coil

carb is an old 600 edelbrock

he wants to ad a weiand 142 supercharger on it
but we have no idea what carb to run on that motor with a super charger
he wants to make 325 to 350 hp would this be possible
on this set up
please give some idea's for a carb and cam
or does he need more boost than the 6psi it will make

thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
carb

I would have to say I would go with a 650 on the carb. Make sure it is a blower carb or if not make sure it is boost referenced. You do not want to run into detonation with those coated pistons.
As for a cam make sure the lobe seperation is around 112. Call the cam company and tell them the rest of your engine set up and they'll get you one that will work well with them heads and still get you out of the hole.
As for right now stick with the 6 psi. as the stock pulley on mine made 6 also.
You can always move up later. Another thing with these smaller units they are turning fast and make lots of heat. So upping the boost may create other problems.
These units are great in my opinion. I have had no problems so far and I also have coated pistons with a little higher compression.
Be careful have fun.

Ron

#3 ·
good advise, otherwise should work fine. Actually the Edelbrock 600 should work fine for that application. Im not usually a big fan of Edelbrock carbs, but they do a good job in draw through applications.
Id still recomend an MSD Boost controller. 305s are timing sensitive anyway due to the small bores & shrouded valves, add a blowers boost & your just making timing issues worse without a controller. John

#5 ·
thanks for the info

the summit cam has a lobe sep of 112 so it would be good

but will this make 325 350 hp or is the intake valve to small 1.84
or the cam.
the car has a stock converter a th700r4 and 4.11 rear gears

how much hp would a 142supercharger steel from the engine.

thanks

#6 ·
with a blower the intake valve size or port size, or port polish for that matter, arent very crucial, because the blower is stuffing the air in, the exhaust side is much more crucial. you might be in the 325 HP area, it should all be in within 5000 RPMs or so, itll be torquie, the 142 doesnt take alot of power to run & its a good choice for smaller engines like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.