307 Chevy build-up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2005, 05:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

307 Chevy stroker build-up

I have a 307 smallblock Chevy and can get a couple more for free and am looking for ways to build them up. On another site someone suggested that I could use stock 400 rods and a 350 crank with .030 over 307 pistons and get 333 ci. Has anyone ever done this? If so how did it perform? I am just looking for a good street motor for an S-10. Since it seems not many people use stock 400 rods and 350 cranks are easy to find the most expensive part would be the 307 pistons. What do you guys think? Will it work? At least it would be something different! Thanks ccnova

Advertisement

Last edited by ccnova; 01-18-2005 at 07:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last journal entry: Still Going
Last photo:

I have not tried it but when I looked into building up the 307 I had I found out a few things. Someone here suggested the 333 which is theory worked. Now when I went to the machien shop to talk to this guy about the engine he said he didn't think it would work because the rods would hit the crank counters.

Also found that while it is diffrect it is VERY hard to find good pistons most are just stock cast ones. I found no hypers or forged.

It turned out that cost per HP it was by far a better idea to just build a 350. Or keep the 307 and just freshen it up.

Chris
Old 01-18-2005, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about clearance problems like that. Has any one actually tried it though? I was assured it would work but would like to make sure before I start buying parts. Any and all suggestions or comments are welcome. Thanks ccnova
Old 01-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

Wanted to add also that the guy said it WOULD work and did a DD dyno for me (was pretty good but not 350 power) but said the counter weights would have to be machined down (rebalance of course "would cost more") That's just that guy though.
The deck needs .02 off to get the correct quench with the 400 rods. Other then that it sounded OK. Like I was saying though it's easier to make power with a 307 vs the 305 and since it's all sbc parts are out there the pistons where the only down side I really ran into.

Chris
Old 01-18-2005, 07:57 PM

the 307 is an olds motor, not chevy. chevy has the 305
Old 01-18-2005, 08:03 PM

Chevy made the 307 small block from 1968 to 1973 if I am not mistaken. The olds 307 came along later. Bore and stroke are 3.875 X3.25. ccnova
Old 01-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

You got it ccnova 307 is 3.875 bore and 3.25 bore Check out

olds also made a 307 but that is diffrent with over a 4 inch bore.

Chris
Old 01-18-2005, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the replys Chris and the link! I'll look into this some more. Just wanted to see if anyone had done this and what results they had. Thanks again ccnova
Old 01-19-2005, 06:40 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The piston warning is a good one, Since any pistons you`ll find for a 307 are the "rebuilder" pistons, and they have .020 whacked off the tops, which lowers compression and kills the quench, this is why many never do a 307 Chevy build up. Used to you could get Forged pistons for a 307, I don`t know if you still can without custom ordering them, and when they were avalible, you paid a high price for them since it`s not a common engine, so most decided it wasn`t worth it. If you have one where the factory pistons and the bores are in good shape, stick with them.
Or if you like, you can get a 350 block, and drop in the 307 crank, which creates a 327. then all you`d need is 327 pistons.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:05 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Aren't the journal sizes different? I thought the 307 was smaller, like the 283.

I have a 307, that I am about to rebuild. Anyone have a decent head & cam recommendation? Remember, this motor will rarely see 5500, let alone anything above. Something for the 71 Nova. 3.08 gear ratio, so torque is key, here.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the reply doublevision. If I use the rebuilder pistons and deck the block to make up for the lost height of the pistons do you think it would work? My son can do the machine work for free in auto class so we're not concerned about that. Also on Jegs my son said he found some forged pistons for 307 but I haven't seen them yet. Any other ideas or comments are welcome. Thanks, ccnova
Old 01-19-2005, 12:04 PM

Last photo:

all 307 cranks are basically large journal 327 cranks. They fit no problem in a 350. If you can score a cheap truck 4 bolt 350, it's an easy way to make a 327 4 bolt. I have a buddy who did just that, and it has worked fine for over 5 years now. Basically has the same personality of a 327, likes to rev. Give it lots of cam and 11:1 compression, and they make a great high rpm motor.(provided you balance and have the valvetrain,etc, for that)
heres a chart from a GM Hi Po manual for crank diameters...enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chevy0.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	3701  
Old 01-19-2005, 12:05 PM
Pure American Muscle

Last photo:

Beenaway, Check the site I listed a few post above and check out journal sizes. All the later engines (GEN II) used 2.1 journals and had 3.45 mains other then the 400's 4.65 (thus the grind down with 400 crank to make a 383) The early engines (GEN I) did have the smaller 2.0 journals though.
Only problem with the 307 is it really is a diffrent engine. The crank is smaller then a 305 but the bore is bigger. Making it harder to find the parts you want. I have one org. for my Chevelle but at the time it just sits in the shop because the cost to build a good one is worse then a really kickin 350.

I also looked into building up the 307 and if you look HERE you can see what I found

Chris
Old 01-19-2005, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

You can use 400 rods & 283 pistons in a 307.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:41 PM

What will using 283 pistons and 400 rods do to the quench and compression? would it be best to deck the block then? Also what style piston would be best flat-top, domed,dished ? Thanks for the help, ccnova

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.