307 out of a 1971 malibu - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 10:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

307 out of a 1971 malibu

I have a 307 outta a 71 malibu.(complete) It burnt oil when taken out and has been sitting untouched for 12years or so...i know thats not so hot tho either. I have 305 heads off of a 89 camaro rs. Id like to slap those on and an intake,have a single plane performer intake(edelbroc) and a stock(? cannot trust the guy who sold it to me) dont know the CFM quadrajet carb. I wanna know if all that will fit altogether with stock pistons and crank. I also have the stock 305 roller setup. Where to go from here???? PLEASE HELP ME, lol

Ryan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 11:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutter
I have a 307 outta a 71 malibu.(complete) It burnt oil when taken out and has been sitting untouched for 12years or so...i know thats not so hot tho either. I have 305 heads off of a 89 camaro rs. Id like to slap those on and an intake,have a single plane performer intake(edelbroc) and a stock(? cannot trust the guy who sold it to me) dont know the CFM quadrajet carb. I wanna know if all that will fit altogether with stock pistons and crank. I also have the stock 305 roller setup. Where to go from here???? PLEASE HELP ME, lol
Ryan
In your other Post you said this was a good motor.
Are you going to fix the oil burning problem? Hone & Rering Kit or Bore cylinders?
Most Q-Jets are 750cfm.
The 305 Heads, Intake & Carb will work fine.
The Roller setup wont fit in the older 71 Block.

Last edited by SSedan64; 09-07-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:57 AM

dang, i was hoping i could swap it out to roller real cheap, lol. On a serious note, i actually havnt taken it apart at all im just gathering all the info i possibly can. See mostly ive delt with 305's and 350's, so the 307 is new. I do know its already a stroker motor, so to speak. But i can either hone depending on the cond of the cyl walls or bore .30 prefferebly. Any suggestions on a boreover? Do i have to change anything? I feel like a tard but if its technically a stroker i know things are a bit different, thank you for your input
Old 09-08-2010, 08:00 AM

I also know that pistons with certian over sizes(.20, .30,.60 over) are very hard to find. What to do, what to do,
Old 09-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

If you can get away with just a cylinder hone do it, since aftermarket pistons are "destroked" as they are called meaning they have .020 off the compression height. If the 89 305 heads came off a TBI engine I would not use them as they are swirl port heads, the worst flowing heads in small block history. I would find some 416 casting 305 heads coupled up with a edelbrock performer plus cam, performer intake, Q-jet carb, small tube headers. Yes, the engine is a factory stroked 283, but that don`t mean anything different. It was the 283`s replacement as GM`s fuel economy engine. With the right pieces as I suggested, you can wake up the little 307 and make it run good.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:42 PM

Yeah those heads are off a tbi motor, dang, i might just piece it together anyways and clear my shelves off for more important things and other projects but i might be able to grab up some tpi heads. Thank you fro your help

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.