307 small block - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 02:40 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

307 small block

I recently bought a rebuilt 307 small block chevy, with 352 heads and a hydraulic racing cam. the motor is stripped.. i was wandering how much hp and torque can i expect. i went an bought a 650 edelbrock carb and soon to buy headers, and suggestions???

its going in my 79 camaro.. the camaro came with a stock 250 straight six.. Will the 307 bolt on to the stock tranny or should i buy a new one? and what one?

thanks for any help you can offer.. im new here..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 07:20 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

power output will be about the same as a chev 305 with similar modifications.
All stock 307's had low compression non performance heads.
To realize the benefit of a "racing cam" you need heads that flow more than stock and have small combustion chambers to get a decent compression ratio.
A 53-58cc 305 head (with mods, larger valves and porting) is a popular cheap swap to get the compression ratio up and improve breathing. Most, but not all 350 heads have large combustion chambers that will give a very low cr on a 307. Any of the open chamber SBC heads are not going to work.
A 64cc camel back/fuelie head has lots of potential.
What pistons are in this motor? flat top? dished? Domed? What is the cylinder head casting number? (between the valve springs)
http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm

A 307 SBC will bolt to any auto trans that a 350SBC or 327 SBC or 305 SBC bolts to. The trans bell housing bolt pattern is the same. Including the Chev 250CI straight six. (buzzin' half dozen)
GM also make a Oldsmobile 307ci V8. is similar to the Olds 260-350-403 SB V8 Don't confuse the two.

A small ci motor like the 307 SBC will need a very high rear gear ratio and trans converter stall speed if used with a "racing cam" 4000+ stall speed 4.56:1 gears are typical for a hot street 305-307 SBC.
Do you know that camshaft grind# or part number? (stamped on the back end of the camshaft)

Nitrous Oxide is your friend.

I'd do up the six. Back yard turbo project.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 05-19-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Last photo:

The term "racing cam" is very general and offers no information on how this engine is setup. If indeed the 307 has been rebuilt as in bored with new pistons, be advised there are no good re builder pistons available for this engine. The stock re builder pistons have lower compression than the original GM supplied pistons. Given the information you provided it is virtually impossible to make a HP evaluation. A 307 in good shape is very capable of putting out 300+ HP with the proper selected parts. I had on in 1973 with a Crower 280 hydraulic and rev kit, headers, 600cfm Holley, Tarantula intake and a 4 speed in a 70 Nova that would run mid 13 second quarter mile times all day long. The 307 is not the dog most people think it is.

Vince
Old 05-19-2008, 03:32 PM

thanks for the info.. yeah we just recently bought it so .. as for knowing what all was done with.. out being told what was done is.. hard.. .. can i track serial numbers? on the parts the "guy" said he had put in.. ??? and where to find the numbers? i knew to all this.. thanks for any help.. you can offer
Old 05-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

When I go to buy something like a car/truck/motor/trans/whatever and the seller tells me it has been "rebuilt", I thank him for his time and move on. I'd much rather buy a worn-out unit and do the work myself. That way, I know it's rebuilt and done right. Usually, when someone tells you that it's rebuilt, he's lying through his teeth.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:10 PM

I'll keep that in mind next time ... but, that does'nt answer my question..
Old 05-21-2008, 08:05 PM

Last photo:

Federal-Mogul discontinued their forged correct-height flat-top 307 pistons only a few years ago, so the pistons might be OK. Look for a part number on top of one.

And yes, the 307 will bolt to the trans. Use motor mount plates and mounts for a similar year Camaro with a 305 or 350 Chevy engine. Something from '75 to '81 should work, or maybe a '75-'79 Nova, although some of those cars came with non-Chevy engines. Use the flywheel/flexplate and starter from the six, and a front starter brace from a V-8 car.

You'll also need a fan shroud for a V-8 car, and hookups for electrical stuff, accelerator, exhaust, etc.

Last edited by jimfulco; 05-21-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:35 AM

Thanks you... just the things i was wanting to know .. yeah i did'nt know if you could use the flywheel off the 6.. but, i guess so thanks alot for everything..
Old 05-27-2008, 08:54 AM

will i have to do anything with the drive shaft on my 79 camaro? im not changing the tranny so i don't think i would have to.. maybe dum ??
Old 05-27-2008, 10:56 AM

Last journal entry: dolly
Last photo:

If you're not changing the transmission your drive shaft will be just fine. The only thing to think about would be maybe replacing the universals just to account for years of wear, or maybe to have it balanced too. Neither of those things would have to be done though, just housekeeping so to speak. The only thing you could worry about would be it not being strong enough, and frankly, unless you're making huge power I wouldn't worry about the driveshaft one bit. I got rid of the I6 in my 66 nova, replacing it with a 383, kept the driveshaft and it's worked out just fine! hope that helps.

hotrod
Old 05-27-2008, 11:31 AM

thanks alot it does help..
Old 05-27-2008, 01:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinoking085
thanks for the info.. yeah we just recently bought it so .. as for knowing what all was done with.. out being told what was done is.. hard.. .. can i track serial numbers? on the parts the "guy" said he had put in.. ??? and where to find the numbers? i knew to all this.. thanks for any help.. you can offer
No there are no serial numbers to track. To see what was done the only solution is to take it apart, inspect and measure things.

350 heads on a 307 may or may not be a gift. Depending upon casting, the number can be found by removing the rocker covers, these heads can vary from around 58ccs to 78 ccs. This teamed with the piston can result in moderate to almost no compression on a 307. So to even figure compression you need to pull a head as you can have one of several combinations:

- a small chamber head with a flat top or domed piston will have high to very high compression.

- a small chambered head with a dished piston can have from moderate to low compression depending upon the size of the dish.

- large chambered head can have from moderate to high compression with a flat top or domed piston.

- large chambered head can have low to way too low compression with a dished piston

The only way to know this is to take it apart. Compression will also vary with head gasket thickness and piston crown to block deck clearance. As usual more of this makes less compression and lesser dimensions makes more compression.

"Racing" cams for whatever that means in duration, LSA, and lift usually need more compression to overcome low speed reverse pumping typical with large overlap cams with late closing intake timing.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.