31 32 ford five window coupes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2007, 02:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

31 32 ford five window coupes

Hey guys I am close to buying a 31 Ford 5 window coupe that sits on a TCI chassis. I hope the pros here on the site can answer some questions for me.
1) What is the differance between a 31 and 32? Seems the 32's are more expensive.
2) The engine in the ride is a V6. Will putting a V8 be costly and what will be needed? The car has a chevy engine and auto trans.
Thanks in advance and thanks for putting up with my rookie questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport

1) What is the difference between a 31 and 32?
About 10,000 dollars or more ...

This is a Model A sport coupe with a 32 Ford radiator shell installed. It also has the top chopped ( lowered )

This is a 32 Sport Coupe.
The 32 has a longer wheelbase ( 103.5 vs 106 for the 32 )
The doors are slightly longer.
The 32 has the fuel tank in the rear ( see the fuel cap on the cowl of the Model A )
The 32 has NO visor ... making a much smoother look ... and less wind noise.
The doors on a 32 fit flush ... they overlap on a Model A
A 32 has more room inside ( wider and longer )
The cowl is larger.

Henry Ford made over 4 million Model A's and 1932 was the worse year for America in the 30's ( the depression ) ... so there are well over 10 Model A's made for every 32 Ford. Ford only made about 2800 32 sport coupes if my memory serves me well ... I do not know the numbers on a Model A ... but I know they are considerably higher. 1932 was the last year that Ford produced the Sport Coupe body style.

As for the V6 to V8 ... it depends on the V6 installed. If it is the 4.3 type ... it could go very easily ... as the 4.3 shares the motor mount setup style and the bell housing pattern of a V8 small block Chevrolet. The 32 engine bay is longer ( because they came with V8's from the factory ... but the V8 ... is fairly easy to install in a Model A ...

Old 03-10-2007, 09:02 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

They are totally different cars that only loosely resemble each other.
A lot like the 60s-70s Mustang evolution or what happened to the early Novas.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

What Duece and xntrik have said gives you an idea of the differences in the body style and history of these two cars. There are also a big differences in the frames of these vehicles as well. The Westcott site will give you a very good look at the differences in bodies and frames. Go to the site and look at the differences in the original frames and the differences in the bodies of the Model A and 32 that they reproduce (check out the finished cars as well).

http://www.wescottsauto.com/

TCI built their frames to accommodate both the V6 and V8 so swapping a V8 into your A will not be too much of a problem. If you really want a V8 it may be cheaper in the long run to buy a rod with one already installed. Look around to see if there is a Model A with a V8 in it already and check out the price difference. It may not be worth your while in time and money to convert from a V6 to a V8.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

As you can see from the TCI photos ... the 32's have a superior frame ... even stock. After TCI engineers one ... well see for yourself ... The 32 frame is longer, better braced and has much thicker side rails. There is a complete mechanical evolution generation difference in a Model A and a 32 Ford. The 32 has double curved frame rails ( each end ) ... which is stronger than a straight rail and allows the car to sit lower. The 32 chassis also costs a good bit more than a Model A from TCI ... more work, more metal and with the 32 ... they have to use 32 frame rails specific to a 32 ... with the Model A ... it is just box tubing. 32's have a beautiful curve indention in the frame ...

Go here for the Model A frame dimesions ...

http://www.wescottsauto.com/pdf2/FR-2.pdf

This has NOT been intended as a put down of Model A's ... I like them too ... but just a answer to your question.
Model A's look good too and can be a lot of FUN ... they are just different ... than some of the other choices. Lots of rodded Model A's on the road ... having fun

As a side note ... the next generation of Fords ( 33 - 34 ) are that much changed over the 32's ... a even longer wheelbase, even stronger frames and roomier inside the bodies.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

DUH ... I read sport coupe ... when your screen name is super sport ... you asked about a 5W coupe.

Everything I said is still true ... just discount the sport coupe info.

Deuce Moderator
Old 03-10-2007, 12:56 PM

Last photo:

A big THANK YOU to you guys! In such a short time I have learned so much. You guys rock. I might look at the 31 closer now. It did have a 32 radiator shell wich made them harder for me to tell them apart. Any, more info would be appreciated. Great info. for us rookies. Thanks guys.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:36 PM

Last photo:

Maybe the other guys have answered your question but to add just a little: The Model A is slightly smaller than the 32. Model A's have the gas tank/ filler in the top of the cowl and a 32 gas tank is frame mounted in the rear. The Model A has overlapping doors at the rear and the 32 Is flush mounted doors. The Model A frame is much weeker than a 32 because 32 was the first year of a V8 option. If there is a 32 frame under the Model A that your looking at that is a good thing if you plan on running it without fenders.

Just my 2 cents

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.