Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   31 Chevy front end (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/31-chevy-front-end-222092.html)

nitsuj 07-24-2012 05:59 PM

31 Chevy front end

Hello all. I'm looking at possibly buying a 31 Chevy coupe. It has the stock front end in it now, but if I buy it, I'd like to get an idea of what would be involved with installing an IFS front end, like a Mustang 2. Not sure if I'd do it myself, or have it done, either way, I need an idea of what is involved to know what I'll have invested in addition to the purchase of the car.

Thanks!

Cape Cod Bob 07-24-2012 07:52 PM

A lot depends on what you want to do with the car and other work it needs .
Is this a running car . Can you give us some pics.
If you want to stay lobuck then stay with what you have and try to go with a droped axel and some juice brakes,
If u go the MII route as I did be prepared to spend some dough.
Positioning of the new xmember is critical. I believe the original axel is not in the center from the factory. Mistake or on purpose I don't know but I moved mine 1 1/2 . If you are using full fenders all will be hidden but you will have clearence problems with the rack.
Then you still need to keep the original xmember for the radiator supports.
Then of course there is the steering linkage . 2-3 u joints and a support bearing.:welcome:

nitsuj 07-24-2012 09:17 PM

Sorry, i dont have pics. It's a running excellent condition car. Needs nothing. My intention is to keep it that way, only with an ifs and possibly power steering. Not trying to stay lobuck, I want to do it once and do it right. What I'm trying to find out is, are we talking $2000 or $10,000. If the cost and pita will be too great, I'll look for a car in my price range that doesn't need such extensive work.

matt167 07-24-2012 09:22 PM

does it 'need' the work? or is it just what you think you prefer/need? If it's all good, drive it around and see if you can live with it.. If you absoulutely have to have IFS, then your best bet is to get a diffrent car setup how you want it. For an IFS, your looking at $2k for the suspension + installation is going to run at least a grand or so, add in the tweaks to get it good and drivable again and you could be out $5k or better.

nitsuj 07-24-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt167 (Post 1576856)
does it 'need' the work? or is it just what you think you prefer/need? If it's all good, drive it around and see if you can live with it.. If you absoulutely have to have IFS, then your best bet is to get a diffrent car setup how you want it. For an IFS, your looking at $2k for the suspension + installation is going to run at least a grand or so, add in the tweaks to get it good and drivable again and you could be out $5k or better.

I've driven both and I know I prefer IFS, so as far as I'm concerned, it needs the work.

With all due respect, I'm not sure I understand your logic. Why do so many people add IFS to old hot rods if it's not worth doing? $5k is doable to have it done. I'd prefer to do it myself though.

matt167 07-24-2012 10:20 PM

Some people want the better ride, some people want the traditional look. It's almost like asking what your favorite color is, and there is no wrong answer.. You want IFS, and you can do it yourself. A kit is on average $2k, add in $1k for allignment, paint work and other things you may find wrong or replace anyway, it will come out reasonable.. It's once you add the shop in ( because the work is all custom ) that the price skyrockets.

Cape Cod Bob 07-25-2012 07:39 PM

http://www.fabquest.com/28-36-chevy-....html:welcome: