Hot Rod Forum banner

31 chevy needs steering swap. Any good ideas?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Frisco 
#1 ·
I THOUGHT the steering box would work out. But, it won't. It has a half a turn play each way.I would like to keep the leaf springs. Any ideas what I could make work? One problem is these crazy headers I have....AND the motor mounts. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I was looking at my buddy's roadster and he has a VW bus steering box on his if that helps..you can also look at steering boxes online at speedwaymotors.com or give borgeson a look see at borgeson.com..some options for you..

Sam

#3 ·
steering

Well...it's not just the steering box. It's how to connect it to the steering columb...plus the how to to cut the steering columb down to size (if need be)...plus the how-to mount the steering assembley around my funky homemade headers. So how bout it folks? Any helpers? Any ideas??

#5 ·
:D well, I'm not totally against buying and using one of them. However...this thing is my first build. And it is more of a rat rod that a hot rod. I cut a lot of corners building this thing. And so I'm really not wanting to spend a whole lot of money on this one. The next one maybe,but not this one. A guy named Frisco said to use a late 50's ford steering box. of course, that was before I had these funky headers. What can you recommend as far as used parts and installation advice? Anybody else have some ideas either?

Attachments

#6 ·
I answered your PM and referred to your car as a Model A. Sorry about that. The steering boxes I mentioned will also work well with your Chevy.

F-100 (1956 preferred) for side steer
Vega cross steer
Early Mustang with the pitman arm pointed up for side steer.

I didn't mention the uni-steer rack and pinion. It looks good but I have since found out that the overall travel is less than desired unless you want to use a forty acre field to turn.

Power steering will not be needed.

#7 ·
I don't believe there is much to think about, Vega all the way for me. If the headers are too big of a problem, change the headers.

Brian

#8 ·
[QUOTE=Frisco

F-100 (1956 preferred) for side steer
Vega cross steer
Early Mustang with the pitman arm pointed up for si

Why an old 1956 f-100 steering box Frisco? And if I find one, do you know of some place I can find some info on how to do any type of modifications so that I can install it?

#9 ·
Riley said:
Why an old 1956 f-100 steering box Frisco? And if I find one, do you know of some place I can find some info on how to do any type of modifications so that I can install it?
The '56 Ford F-100 steering box has a better reciprocating ball bearing system and makes the steering very smooth. They are getting a little harder to find, but parts are available for them if needed. It is a strong side steer box. It may fit your frame with no modifications. If your frame is narrow from top to bottom (like the Model A Ford) it will fit the narrow (top to bottom) frame with the removal of one of the three mounting ears. A wedge is often used to angle the steering column at the frame mounting point to get a better location of the steering wheel for the driver. The wedge can be easily manufactured or even purchased thru SoCal. They often have it listed on eBay.

Unless you are set on having side steering, I strongly suggest using the readily available Vega steering box with cross steer. It is an excellent box and the steering will be fairly effortless provided the front end geometry is set up correctly.

Any column can be used with any steering box by connecting it all together with the proper u-joints. Buy the best u-joints available. They are available with various splines or for the 'D' shaft to match up with the system(s) you select.

#10 ·
steering stuff

well I guess I will start lookin for some parts soon then. That cross steering invovles using some balljoint sockets don't it? I am assuming that means having to take the steering rods off, or drag link or whatever its called, and then having threads put on the end of it so the balljoint can screw onto it....I mean, I am assuming,right?

#11 ·
Riley said:
That cross steering invovles using some balljoint sockets don't it?
NOT balljoints but rather tie rod ends.

You will need tie rod ends at both ends of the rod that connects the steering arms, and at both ends of the rod that connects the pitman arm and the steering arm. In some cases very good quality Heim joints (spherical ball joints that attach with grade eight bolts and are available with grease fittings) can be used instead of the tie rod ends. I recommend using the tie rod ends. They are stronger and easily lubricated, readily available and will last much longer than Heim joints.

I suggest that you look thru a Speedway Motors catalog in the steering section. You will find all your needs there as well as a nice drawing of cross steering or side steering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.