Hot Rod Forum banner

31 chevy radiator mascot

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jaw22w 
#1 ·
Hey guys, a buddy of mine got me a 31 bird rad. mascot. But the cap is not threaded, but my rad. is. How to fix?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The bird can not be threaded at all!! You must have a Griffin radiator with the threaded cap.........how I know this is I had one years ago.
The only way that could be fixed would be to cut off the threaded neck and weld in one for a twist on pressure cap. That threaded cap is a zero pressure cap.

#3 ·
So, what you're saying is the base is for the original type radiator? And you have something different ?

My radiator was pressurized and cap relocated but they sealed the original hole from inside and I use the original plain cap. If you cannot use your gift maybe you would think about regifting it to me! LOL

My 31 is screaming for it. :welcome:

How about some pics of the rest of the car and a little history ?

#4 ·
What does the threaded cap you took off for the pic look like? Can the bird be attached to the top of the threaded cap? The reason I ask is because I have an non-stock aluminum radiator in a '26T Ford. Wife bought a me a motometer for Christmas. I JB Welded it to the top of the rad, to fit the hole in the shell. It stayed put. I know your problem is different, but maybe the bird could be attached to the cap in some manner, not necessarily JBWeld. What ever way you work it out, get it on there. It's cool!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.