3116 cat need more power - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2005, 07:34 PM
DriveItLikeItsSupostToBeD riven

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

3116 cat need more power

Hello. I have a question about Diesel motors, I herd that you can get more power from a diesel by turning the fuel pump up. Is this true and if so is it hard to do. Because I have a single axle dump truck with a 3116 Cat and only has 175 hp with Allison transmission, and it really could use more power.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2005, 08:42 PM
analyst

Last journal entry: Dart for sale
Last photo:

Hi Red Rider.... I have driven 18 wheelers for a living since 1993 and currently
have about 1.3 million miles behind diesel powered trucks....
The answer to your question is..... depends

If your 3116 is a mechanically injected diesel.... not an electronically injected motor you MIGHT see some small gains by turning up the pump...

REMEMBER the engine that you are dealing with here... a diesel...

Diesels have NO sparkplugs...and are Completely dependent on
1. Fuel
2. Compression (and turbo boost)
3. Timing of the Fuel's injection
4. Quality of the fuel

Power is made and combustion is achieved strictly by compression and injection of fuel at the proper time.....
Adding more fuel is only going to make more power if it BURNS and thus produces power....it is possible that it will go unburned out of the smokestack
(dark black smoke is fuel rich)

Best option for more power is more fuel and more air also..... there can ALSO be performance gains to be had by adjusting the timing on your pump
just like adjusting the timing of your distributor on your car can give you
small horsepower gains for your gas powered engines..

On the old Big Cam Cummins... many drivers turned their pumps up and saw some horsepower gains...but it was a crude gain..at the expense of fuel..

Go the timing route 1st....talk to the guys at local injector rebuilding shop
.... there are shops that specialize in diesel pump rebuilding all over the US..
I have never seen a major city without one...ask them their opinions...talk with several of these shops...3 or 4... what do they agree on???

I had a former CAT factory mechanic tell me he got 3406's to get 6-7mpg
rather than their regular 5... while making MORE power by adjusting the
timing of the 3406/c-15.... these were mechanical motors... if your 3116
is electronic you might be out of luck...don't think there is anyone
making chips for the 3116...
There may be some articles on injection timing here on the internet though highly unlikely in this forum....read up..
You also might be able to visit with the mechanics at your local CAT
dealer.... ask them to see if that motor had a Fire Truck rating... some of the smaller diesels like yours are used in emergency vehicles.. you might be able to get the mechanics to set your motor (if its out of warranty already) at the fire truck level... have em check their books...... if you are going to adjust fuel... why not do timing as well....
The mechnaics might also have some ideas on tweeking ....sometimes getting more boost from the turbo is as easy as tweeking or removing
pieces or the wastegate...THERE is where you would see real gains.... by
adding AIR and FUEL...need both for efficient/powerful burn...

Good luck... dig more with the mechanics
and injector rebuilers before you do anyting..
they'll probably get you more power than just
turning up the pump.....
-K
Old 11-08-2005, 09:17 PM

Red_Rider52,

TURBO! Comes in a kit from a truck dealer and you will feel the difference. Fuel milage will be better too, because you will not need to FLOOR it to get the response you want.

Scholman
Old 11-08-2005, 09:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_rider52
Hello. I have a question about Diesel motors, I herd that you can get more power from a diesel by turning the fuel pump up. Is this true and if so is it hard to do. Because I have a single axle dump truck with a 3116 Cat and only has 175 hp with Allison transmission, and it really could use more power.

Thanks
with that engine it has unit injectors so you have to inst the injectors and Governor for a 275 hp spec then install a air to air aftercooler. if you dont install the after cooler a piston will seas.also the higher hp 3116 cats used a 2 pese piston and conrods that ar tappered at the small end. big cost and lots of work.check with your cat dealer you may be able to go to say 200 with injector chang and air to air. be carfull as thes ar not one of cats better engines, (i worked for a cat dealer for 30 yrs so have some exp in this airia) so listen to them. good luck cliff
Old 11-09-2005, 07:19 PM
DriveItLikeItsSupostToBeD riven

Last photo:

Thanks for all the info, I think I will have to see a mechanic on this one, more complicated than I think I can handle. I will try to read up on it some more tho, helps to kinda know what I am talking about before i seek for help.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.