Hot Rod Forum banner

318 /440 swap

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Grit54 
#1 ·
what do i need to swap 318 with a440 in a 74 challenger

#2 ·
The biggest thing you'll need is a big block front "K" member. After that it's pretty much a piece of cake.

#3 ·
Centerline said:
The biggest thing you'll need is a big block front "K" member. After that it's pretty much a piece of cake.
Ouch! Not sure I agree!
I've done the 318 to 440 swap and the K member was fine. The rubber engine mount was fine too!

I needed.... among other things......

*Big block ear mounts. The metal that bolts the actual rubber mount to the side of the engine.
*Make sure the pan is a car pan, mid sump.
*Big Block tranny (727)
*Some B/RB waterpump housings dump driver's side at the bottom, some passenger side. You'll need the correct water pump housing or if they are different you can move your lower rad bung.
*If going from a 318/904 trans you'll need a shorter driveshaft too I think.
*B/RB headers or exhaust manifolds
*You'll have to play with the throttle bracket/cable/kickdown too.
*Big block distributor is in the front, distributor wires/coil wires will need to be extended.
*Small block 727 to big block the driveshaft should be OK, but 904 or 999 to 727 will need driveshaft or driveshaft shortened.

*SOME cars have clearance problems with big pot brake boosters when switching to a 440, easy fixes if you run across that problem though.

Did I miss anything??!
:sweat:

#5 ·
swap to a B/RB engine

go to the store and pickup a copy of any mopar performance mag and look in yhe adds for Schummacker and TTI and they have all or can tell you all you need (they make mount kits so you don't have to change k-frames) all bolt in been there done that I have a 76 Aspen R/T that was a 318 now 495 stroker TTI even has sweet set of headers

#6 · (Edited)
Crazy Mopar Guy said:
...........Ouch! Not sure I agree!
I've done the 318 to 440 swap and the K member was fine. The rubber engine mount was fine too!..........
Did some checking and your correct. The "K" member does not have to be changed. I stand corrected.

#7 ·
Centerline said:
Did some checking and your correct. The "K" member does not have to be changed. I stand corrected.
The only way I found out was trial and error. LOL!
When I was young ( I *was* young!) I was told the K member had to be changed, but we were kids with no patience, and we stuffed it in. Fit like a glove. I did many, many, many 318 to 440 swaps since then, most of them (embarrassingly) my own! I was a 440 addict!

#8 ·
318 440 swap LA to B RB

did some looking in my older mags and found the sites for you guys www.engine-swaps.com (Schumacher Creative Services) for the BOLT IN mounts and some kits even have urathane mounts, now for no fuss exhaustwww.ttiexhaust.com for other performance engine parts check out www.indyheads.com,,,,www.chapmanracingheads.com and my parts came from www.musclemotors.com hope this some help for you fellow mopar guys :welcome: :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.