Hot Rod Forum banner

318 Performance?

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  MXrider13 
#1 ·
I was looking at a 70 Dodge D100 truck, that I am thinking about buying to be more of a daily driver and making my S10 for of just a strip car. If I get this D100 I want it to have some performance but more street friendly and occasional strip performance (maybe once every 2 months make a pass).
The D100 has a 318 in it and I can't find much info on 318 builds or performance. Just a few threads on other forums and one article in Mopar Muscle Magazine.
What should do to get more performance out of a 318, what are parts that will probably need replacing and what are common problems with the 318?

#4 ·
Just think of the 318 as a Mopar SBC. 273, 318, 340, 360 are all of the same design and anything you would do to improve the performance of a SBC will work on a small block Mopar. Nothing cosmic about Mopar small blocks at all, although they are better in almost every respect than a small block Chevy.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

“I wrote to the head man at General Motors and said, "I`m gonna have to desert you if you don't stop making cars for women." - John "Duke" Wayne

#5 · (Edited)
My 323 is a lil monster. Was in a 4spd 4door valiant. just as capable as a 340-360. The thing to do is use the magnum head swap. In effect results are similar to a vortec swap in terms of requirement for change. Use the GM beehive springs from a 3100 series 2 v6 engine. Mopar always had poor heads , but great oiling and rod internal provisions.

318 over 30
3.31 gear
4 speed 833
very good cam 340 mp2783 340 cam 290hp/same as 360 lil red express
Edelbrock streetmaster 0-4500 intake
1.88/1.60 heads milled .060
summit headers
GMHEI 4 pin module conversion.

Attachments

#6 ·
Centerline said:
Just think of the 318 as a Mopar SBC. 273, 318, 340, 360 are all of the same design and anything you would do to improve the performance of a SBC will work on a small block Mopar. Nothing cosmic about Mopar small blocks at all, although they are better in almost every respect than a small block Chevy.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

“I wrote to the head man at General Motors and said, "I`m gonna have to desert you if you don't stop making cars for women." - John "Duke" Wayne
So would 340 heads work on the 318? I am starting to like Mopar even more from what I read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.