32 chevy chassis too short for my 32chevy 4 door - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2008, 11:05 PM
need strog32 chevy front doors

Last journal entry: Tbd
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

32 chevy chassis too short for my 32chevy 4 door

I have been peicing together a chevy and have been running into a major problem.
I bought a complete 32 chevy body with ever thing but the interior the front apron and the rear apron. I also bought seperately a 32 chevy chassis that came from i don't know.
I i had a grille or gas tank cove i might be able to get an idea of where the body should sit
I put a traditional front end on it and a rear end on it. I postioned the body on the chassis in the place where i think the tires sit well in the wheel wells. its lifted so i don't know if i did a good job. any ways i proceed ann the fenders and running board. i ran into a problem of the front fenders overlapping tthe running boards alot.

could it be that i have a shorter 32 chevy chassis under my 4 door body. how much shorter are they, what should i do???
i want to run full fendered.
I could shorten the running boards but still because the bodys to long for the chassis my grille will be set to forward and the splash apron will have to be disregarder

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Are you sure it is a 32 frame? In 31 and 32 the wheelbase was supposed to be 109" In 33 they had 2 base models, one had a 107" and the other had a 110" wheelbase..In 34 the wb for the bigger car grew again to 112" and the economy version was again, 107"

http://www.autogallery.org.ru/chev1932.htm

Just trying to help,
Mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 05-26-2008, 12:39 AM

Last photo:

so are you saying that the 32 chevy chassis wheelbase is 109" regardless of weither its a 4 door or 2 door chevy. The guy i bought the chassis from said it was from a 1932 chevy. When i mentioned that i had problems with situating the body he mentioned something about the different 32 chevy hoods. he said there were two different size. I don't know.

First thing i do in the morning will be to measure the chassis. hope its 109" wheel based. then i'll need to figure were the fender suports go. If i do thing i will definatelty know where the body should go generally.

Does any one have a 32 chevy?

I remember seeing a fellow take a buick or pontiac and he made it into a 2 door from a four door. He showed that he had to lengthen the chassis.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:17 AM
Old Phart

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Last journal entry: 27 T Roadster project: Underway cont.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

G'day 31chevy,

Yes thats correct, all 1931 & 32 Chevy's had 109" wheelbase up from the previous 107" used from 1928-30. This chassic was introduced on the new "National" series in 1928 to accomodate the "big six".

If you project is being bought piece by piece, and we all know what that is like when your building something different, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that you have a 107" 1928-1930 chevy chassic ?.

1928-32 chevy chassics look very similar when stripped down to rails and crossmembers ?. Unless you've got chassic numbers to go by it's all pretty much guess work. Even the 33 Chevy standard 107" chassic could pass for a 32 chassic until you get the tape measure out. If your guards are overlapping the running boards by a couple of inches then I reckon you've got a 1930 chassic or maybe even earlier ?.

Hope this helps.......Barry.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:33 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Most 28-32 US cars had the running board aprons bolted to the top of the frame rails. If your 32 Chev is like that, I'd bolt the aprons on to the original holes on the FRAME. Now those apron holes usually don't have much adjustment slots at all, so these should determine exactly where the front edges of the REAR fenders sit. So, I would bolt the rear fenders onto the body, then slide the body until you get the apron fitting to the fender.

I saw a pic of how HIGH your body sits in the back. That will really confuse anyone as to finding out if the rear tires are centered in the rear fenders. If you can't afford lower springs right now, make up some temporary "lowering blocks" and you "could" use cheap threaded rod as temporary U-bolts just for set-up. The U-bolts need to be quite long to deal with the huge blocks you'd need.

One more thing; Those old cars that sat high when new, they sometimes don't look like the tires are centered AFTER you use lowered springs or blocks. That's because the center pin in the spring is now in the wrong spot, after lowering. That's why I'd prefer to use mickey mouse blocks for now, to really see where the rear spring centerbolts need to be. DEUCE runs into that miss-match on his 32 Fords, and moves the axle about 3/4".
Old 05-26-2008, 10:26 AM

Last photo:

105.5 on the passengers side 104.75 for the drivers side. hmm there off. I measured center to center axle. not sure if my axles sitting on the chassis right. The pins are in the pads i know this. its a 98 sonom truck rearend

two inch seems i can work with that, think its a 107" wheelbased chassis.

should i look for the right one.?
Old 05-26-2008, 11:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31chevy

two inch seems i can work with that, think its a 107" wheelbased chassis.

should i look for the right one.?

Your older pics show the front fenders, rad, and body all on.

If it was me, I'd get those side aprons on, and see if they fit on some existing holes. Maybe it is the right year.

Then loosely set the body, fenders, & etc back on to see if you can work with it. Look for factory holes that seem to be what you'd expect,if it was the right frame.

Think positive, it might be the correct frame.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:27 AM

Last photo:

Just talked to the fellow who i bought the chassis from. he said he bought it fronm another guy just for the front axle and springs. He said the guy turned it into a truck made a cab of wood and he didnt know what 32 chevy model it was. but he knows its was a 32 chevy because of the cowl features and all the other components.
im going to check think out more and get back to you all with some pictures.
thanks for all the feed back so far
Old 05-26-2008, 11:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

In this photo of a 32 Chevy sedan ... that I took off the internet ... it looks like the frame is hidden by covers ... like a Model A Ford ...

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 05-26-2008, 01:18 PM

Last photo:

the front well in this pic is interfering with the front tire which is a 38 chevy tire.

front fender overlaps end of chassis by 3 or so inches. if i was to move the body back 3 inches to fix this it would look awkward un less chevy offset the tire and wheel wells back in te day.

again my wheel base is closer to 107 " than it is to 109" unless i measure wrong i measured from the center of front axle to the center of the rear axle
Old 05-26-2008, 02:24 PM

Last photo:

how much work goes into stretching a frame 2 inch or more.??
Old 05-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Not much at all.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:42 PM

Last photo:

I see the overhang on your fender tip. So, I wondered if the r/b apron and fender needed to go back, without moving the body. But in this pic from Carnut, it looks like it matches the distance from apron front tip, to the cowl band....just like yours looks. So, it seems you may have the wrong frame...unless I am missing something
Old 05-26-2008, 03:41 PM

Last photo:

so to make the right frame i would have to add 2 inch, that doesn't seem like enough
Old 05-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Old Phart

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Last journal entry: 27 T Roadster project: Underway cont.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

G'day 31chevy.

If you are going to lengthen the frame you can make it as long as necessary. As suggested by F&J and I agree, best angle of attack (IMO) is mock up the body on the chassic using body/chassic bolt holes if they match. Fit the guards where they are meant to go on the body, don't worry about where they go on the chassic at this point.

Remove the springs front and rear and support the body and chassic on jack stands etc. at the final ride height you are happy with.

Start from the rear and work forward, position the wheels where they look good or supposed to go in respect to the guard openings etc.. Position the radiator and/or surround. When you get to the front and you are happy with the way everything looks, then get out your measuring instruments and see what you get.

This may take some time to get to this stage, but I feel you'll get a better result.

At the end of the day it's a hot rod and you can make it exactly how YOU want it.

Above all have fun,

Cheers...........Barry.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.